Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch still bubbling  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
Kolsch still bubbling
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:46:59 am »
So I brewed a Kolsch right out of "Brewing Classic Styles".  One of the yeasts it recommends is WLP029. I made a 1L starter and set my BrewJactket for 60F.  At first I had a traditional cycle but as it trailed of it really never stopped.  This Friday will be 3 weeks in primary and I still get a bubble every 3-4 seconds.  Do you think this is because of the low fermentation temperature?  white labs recommends optimal 65 to 68 I'm at least 5° below that. 

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Kolsch still bubbling
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:32:29 am »
Have you checked the progress with a hydrometer?

I've used that yeast at 58-60 plenty of times, but I do bring the temp up a degree or two per day as it slows.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:57:45 am »
I agree, I would ramp the temp now. The sooner the better I think, you'll want to give it a few days maybe just under 70? It should clean up nice and attenuate out.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 06:20:31 pm »
Thanks! I just read this and I racked it of the yeast cake.  Took a hydrometer reading and it's at estimated FG. It is fairly clear and tastes great.  I'm going to start lowering it 2 degrees a day until I get to 38 then hold it for another 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brew what you like & brew often.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 05:26:03 am »
That particular strain will slow down once it reaches about 65% attenuation if you don't raise the temp over 64. I usually start that strain off at 58 and keep it there for 72 hours and then ramp up to 64 for a few days then up to 68 to finish out.

Offline MadJohnShaft

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 05:48:43 am »
I had a 'Caribou Slobber' with Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast keep bubbling away strongly for over 2 weeks this summer and then abruptly stop.  Not sure why it did that but the beer was fine. Freaked me out a bit.