Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: English yeast for beginners  (Read 6333 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: English yeast for beginners
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 11:28:16 am »
That's interesting, I have never heard much about using S-04 that low. I have always advised using it around 64* because I have had better results at those temps than anything higher, but I have never used it near 60* I'm interested to do so, are you pitching extra yeast to use it in the mid to high 50's? What is the character at those temps?

I'll still use one pack for ~5.5 gallons under 1.060 if it's first-generation, but I do tend to pitch a lot of slurry when going 2nd or third generation. But this yeast is perfectly happy around 58F - it's neither slow to start nor finish around 58-62F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 09:56:43 am »
I've only used S-04 a couple of times and fermented at 68F. I can't say that I found the taste that that yeast imparts, desirable. The advice to ferment at a lower temp is interesting. I may have to try that on my next English style.

I've used the Windsor and London ESB yeasts and find them to be similar. They are serious under-attenuators, that are specifically stated by their manufacturers to be intended for brewing with worts created at low mashing temps or with significant simple sugar percentage in the wort. In any case, I find that the beers made with these yeasts are still quite tasty, even when under-attenuated. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 09:09:29 am »
... London ESB ... serious under-attenuators... I find that the beers made with these yeasts are still quite tasty, even when under-attenuated.

I would just like to point out that Danstar describes London ESB as:
"Attenuation range 65-75%"

So if your beer attenuates to 65% using Danstar's London ESB, it would not be considered "underattenuation"  but I would consider this a low attenuating yeast strain.  Underattenuation would be when a yeast strain falls below the brewing properties described by the yeast manufacturer; and overattenuation would be when a strain exceeds that range.  I guess that's my take on the terms "under/over attenuation".  BTW, I've brewed three beers with London ESB and finished with expected attenuation levels of 65%AA, 67%AA, and 71%AA (ALL were exceptionally tasty and full-bodied beers!).

For me, it's the attenuation levels of this yeast that makes it so unique.  I also feel as though it's glycerol production is on the high end, which would be another defining characteristic, but I have no proof of this (just the mouthfeel from those three beers; one of which should have been pretty watery due to low OG, low mash, no caras).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:14:12 am by stpug »