Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast Discontinuing Some Strains  (Read 12722 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Wyeast Discontinuing Some Strains
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:30:53 am »
At AiH last Friday, there was a note on the Wyeast cooler. It said the following strains were going to be discontinued, and will not be available when they place the next order.
2000-Budvar
2001-PU
2035- Schell
And a couple Belgian strains IIRC.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about this?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Wyeast Discontinuing Some Strains
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 07:41:18 am »
At AiH last Friday, there was a note on the Wyeast cooler. It said the following strains were going to be discontinued, and will not be available when they place the next order.
2000-Budvar
2001-PU
2035- Schell

Yeah, Drew posted on Friday about it. I was at my LHBS Saturday and verified it. It's a real shame, some good strains in there :

2000 Budvar Lager
2001 Pilsen Urquell
2035 American Lager
2042 Danish Lager
3333 German Wheat
3562 Forbidden Fruit
3942 Belgian Wheat

Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:57:22 am »
2000-Budvar
2001-PU
2035- Schell

Yeah, Drew posted on Friday about it. I was at my LHBS Saturday and verified it. It's a real shame, some good strains in there :

2000 Budvar Lager
2001 Pilsen Urquell
2035 American Lager
2042 Danish Lager
3333 German Wheat
3562 Forbidden Fruit
3942 Belgian Wheat
Missed Drew's post.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:57:28 am »
Whoa, holy moly!!!!!  I'm sure glad I just bought a pack of 2042 Danish Lager a few days ago!  I'll have to bank it!  I haven't tried it before but it's been on my list to try for a very long time.  Many of the others appear to be a major loss as well.

Wonder if sales have just been too slow for some, or what?  Did they provide any reasons??
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 07:59:54 am »
Whoa, holy moly!!!!!  I'm sure glad I just bought a pack of 2042 Danish Lager a few days ago!  I'll have to bank it!  I haven't tried it before but it's been on my list to try for a very long time.  Many of the others appear to be a major loss as well.

Wonder if sales have just been too slow for some, or what?  Did they provide any reasons??

I was told slow sales, Dave. Really sucks.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:25 am »
I have a starter of 2035 going for a CAP. Mark said to try that one in a CAP, so I am getting around to it. If I like it, maybe I can bank it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

The Beerery

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:31:23 am »
I have a starter of 2035 going for a CAP. Mark said to try that one in a CAP, so I am getting around to it. If I like it, maybe I can bank it.

Just so all know 2035 is not schells, I have verified this with them:

"While they claim is 2035 is the Schell's yeast (Ted questions this, because how would they have gotten a sample) the fact that we didn't bank our yeast until about 10 years ago means even if they were the same at one time, they probably drifted apart."

That being said 2035 used to be my house strain for many years.. loved that yeast.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 09:32:09 am »

"While they claim is 2035 is the Schell's yeast (Ted questions this, because how would they have gotten a sample) the fact that we didn't bank our yeast until about 10 years ago means even if they were the same at one time, they probably drifted apart."

That being said 2035 used to be my house strain for many years.. loved that yeast.

Good to know.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

narvin

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:01:01 am »

Is that not true of many of the strains from Wyeast/White Labs?  You can see that in subtle differences between the supposedly same yeasts from the two companies.

The Beerery

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 10:03:15 am »

Is that not true of many of the strains from Wyeast/White Labs?  You can see that even the supposedly same strains can often differ in behavior.

Yup, yup.

Like the "Ayinger" strain that is the bottling strain of Ayinger and not the normal yeast. Hence why it has such poor flocc characteristics.

Big Monk

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:07:48 am »

Is that not true of many of the strains from Wyeast/White Labs?  You can see that even the supposedly same strains can often differ in behavior.

Yup, yup.

Like the "Ayinger" strain that is the bottling strain of Ayinger and not the normal yeast. Hence why it has such poor flocc characteristics.

This is one of the main reasons I want to cultivate from a fresh bottle of Chimay here in the future. They bottle with their primary strain.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:08:58 am »
FWIW, Wyeast is also bringing back some old yeasts and looking to release some totally new ones.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:34 am »
This is one of the main reasons I want to cultivate from a fresh bottle of Chimay here in the future. They bottle with their primary strain.

As do most Belgian breweries, according to Stan.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 10:25:16 am »

As do most Belgian breweries, according to Stan.

De Halve Maan don't (at least according to their brewery tour). 
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 10:27:05 am »
FWIW, Wyeast is also bringing back some old yeasts and looking to release some totally new ones.

Do you any specifics on anything they're coming with?  I'm hoping for some characterFUL British strains (fingers-crossed).

I'm super bummed about 2035 and budvar - both excellent strains.  Luckily, I have 2035 in my frozen bank, but not budvar (might need to add that if I can still find it).