Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast Discontinuing Some Strains  (Read 12725 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Wyeast Discontinuing Some Strains
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 12:31:27 pm »
I am really disappointed by the decision to drop 2000 and 2001.  2001 is better than 2278, at least for me to get that little hint of diacetyl.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 12:36:05 pm »
Maintaining yeast stock to make sure a shop has what people are looking for without having loads of old supply has got to be a massive PIA. Couple this with minimum orders to hit price points and I can see why some shops choose to carry one company over another.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 12:44:24 pm »
That was my guess. The 1318 is always out when I am at the LHBS. Maybe just more production of that one?

Maybe it's more of an ordering problem than a production problem.

Or that everyone is brewing NEIPAs, as it is the new beer of the moment?

Had a couple of samples when I was out West recently. Maybe they are poor knockoffs. The aroma was big, the flavor was muddled, the mouthfeel was odd, the finish was, well not much of a finish. One was astringent. We will swing out East again sometime to see some friends. Time in VT shall be on the schedule.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 12:50:30 pm »
Or that everyone is brewing NEIPAs, as it is the new beer of the moment?

Well, not EVERYONE!  ;) 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 12:57:03 pm »
I am really disappointed by the decision to drop 2000 and 2001.  2001 is better than 2278, at least for me to get that little hint of diacetyl.
I'm just glad they kept 2278! In my experience, it's the best lager yeast out there for IPL's and other crisp, hop-forward lagers.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 01:10:57 pm »
Hoping that this makes room for Unibroue to be year-round...

I am hoping this also. I used WY3864 a few times and it gave good results everytime.

Same here. Really good strain.
Jon H.

Offline WAbrewer

• 1st Kit
Wyeast Discontinuing Some Strains
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 01:25:33 pm »
I'd gladly give up both of the Belgian yeasts named above in exchange for regular access to BELGIAN SCHELDE ALE YEAST - 3655.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Monk

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 01:37:21 pm »
I'm pretty boring. So long as I have 1214, 3787, 1762, 1056 and 2206 I'm good.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 03:40:29 pm »
Interesting that both Budvar and PU made the list. Guess no one brews Bo Pils much anymore?

Hoping that this makes room for Unibroue to be year-round...
No doubt!!

Jeff B

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 06:17:13 pm »
They still have the 2278 Czech Lager, some say that is the PU-D strain. They are dropping the PU-H strain. I predict White Labs will sell more WLP800.

What is the bet that Wyeast will introduce some version of the yeast used to make a Vermont IPA?

Well, there's 1318 already, which is rumored to be widely used in NEIPA.  If you're thinking of the Conan strain, then I dunno.

Just pitched 1318 in my old ale today.  Never used it before.  I picked up an out-of-date smack pack awhile ago and tossed it in a starter.

Can't say there's anything on the list that I can't work around.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 06:30:47 pm »
Not a happy camper...they drop 2001 because of lack of interest, what's next, 3724? I realize this is a business...but they have some lousy yeast that are still on the list to be dropping classics like 2001...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Big Monk

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 07:01:22 pm »
Not a happy camper...they drop 2001 because of lack of interest, what's next, 3724? I realize this is a business...but they have some lousy yeast that are still on the list to be dropping classics like 2001...

Those lousy yeasts probably sell. You said it best: it's a business.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 08:12:00 pm »

If you can get WLP 800, that is said to be equivalent.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 10:31:41 pm »
FWIW, Wyeast is also bringing back some old yeasts and looking to release some totally new ones.

Do you any specifics on anything they're coming with?  I'm hoping for some characterFUL British strains (fingers-crossed).

I have heard that 3726 Farmhouse Ale is one of the ones that will now be available year round.

I hope that's the case. Awesome!

Edit -  I've sure bugged them enough about it. Enough of that stuff pays off eventually.

3726 is available year round from imperial yeast, it's called rustic and from the yeast bay.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 09:54:07 am »
FWIW, Wyeast is also bringing back some old yeasts and looking to release some totally new ones.

Do you any specifics on anything they're coming with?  I'm hoping for some characterFUL British strains (fingers-crossed).

I have heard that 3726 Farmhouse Ale is one of the ones that will now be available year round.

I hope that's the case. Awesome!

Edit -  I've sure bugged them enough about it. Enough of that stuff pays off eventually.

3726 is available year round from imperial yeast, it's called rustic and from the yeast bay.

I had known about rustic, but not yeast bay's version (thanks!).  Do you have any idea how they compare to 3726 (from the perspective that "they are identical twins that were raised in separate households")?  For the most part I would expect a similar experience from all, but there's bound to be some differences in the end results.