Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: beer tastes and kinds  (Read 3424 times)

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
beer tastes and kinds
« on: February 20, 2017, 05:54:44 pm »
I am wondering if there is a beer that is really malty and bready tasting and yeasty kinda sweet? This probably doesn't make any sense haha.  Almost like when you walk into a brewry and the smell you smell thats the taste I am wanting. If there is what kind would this be and how would you make it? I dont care of the color just the taste. Hopefully you guys kinda understand my description haha.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: beer tastes and kinds
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:12:30 pm »
I am wondering if there is a beer that is really malty and bready tasting and yeasty kinda sweet? This probably doesn't make any sense haha.  Almost like when you walk into a brewry and the smell you smell thats the taste I am wanting. If there is what kind would this be and how would you make it? I dont care of the color just the taste. Hopefully you guys kinda understand my description haha.

If you drop the 'yeasty' part, I would say Paulaner Salvator, a doppelbock. It's very malty, bready, and somewhat malty sweet. Pretty strong.
 Not yeasty though.

Jon H.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 06:35:53 pm »
I think there are too many fruit characteristics in a Doppelbock to fit this.
I think you should look at an American Wheat.  They tend to use very neutral or subtle yeasts, which often stay suspended.  The hops are typically low, usually of Noble-type varietals.

If you can find a fresh Widmer Hefeweizen, Pyramid Hefeweizen, or Harpoon UFO Hefeweizen (their base beer, not any of the special versions), you would be on the right track.
Be sure to get a FRESH sample.  This style loses its freshness quickly.  I'm always pleasantly surprised at how simple and refreshing Pyramind Hefe is if I get it fresh at their brewery.  Old in the bottle, not so much.

As far as a recipe, try this.  It's as simple a recipe as you can possibly get:

5 gallon batch

6 lbs wheat malt  (Great Western has RED wheat malt which is 'breadier', others are white wheat malt)
5 lbs pilsner malt
1 oz Hallertaur or Sterling or Crystal or Mt. Hood @ 60 mins
White Labs WLP320 or Wyeast 1010 American wheat Yeast

Single step mash at 151F
(for extract, subtract 7 lbs of Wheat DME, which is usually 60:40 or 50/50 wheat and pilsner malt, depending on the maltster).

HTH-

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:43:16 pm by santoch »
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:06:26 pm »
The first thing that comes to mind from your description is a Munich dunkel. Malty--yes. Bready--yes. Sweet--yes. The only thing is that a well made dunkel shouldn't be yeasty. But, the OP describes walking into a brewery and smelling this beer, so it probably isn't yeasty. What one smells when walking into a brewery is the mash and/or the boil.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 07:11:27 pm »
The first thing that comes to mind from your description is a Munich dunkel. Malty--yes. Bready--yes. Sweet--yes. The only thing is that a well made dunkel shouldn't be yeasty. But, the OP describes walking into a brewery and smelling this beer, so it probably isn't yeasty. What one smells when walking into a brewery is the mash and/or the boil.
I thought of Munich Dunkel as well. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline satchman

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:13 pm »
Just had Piper Down for the first time a few weeks ago, and it fits your description. Some reviews claim it is not true to style (Scottish Ale)
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/10400/

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 07:17:26 pm »
See if this fits the bill.  Munich Dunkel. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:01:59 pm »
I'm thinking the OP might enjoy a British beer such as Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale or Belhaven Scottish 80/- or 90/-.  Those are some beers I think of immediately when I hear someone wanting bready and malty.  I don't disagree with the doppelbock recommendations; however, there are other styles with a different sort of maltiness to them, as well as a touch of sticky sweetness.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:31 pm »
I agree with big Scottish Ales and Doppelbocks - these are definitely what jumps to mind when I think malty sweet. American Amber is another choice. And if yeast character is important, then I'd go with Dunkelweizen.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline satchman

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 08:09:41 pm »
I agree with big Scottish Ales and Doppelbocks - these are definitely what jumps to mind when I think malty sweet. American Amber is another choice. And if yeast character is important, then I'd go with Dunkelweizen.
Agreed, though I've had some American Ambers that were pretty significantly hopped, so check the tasting notes

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 04:28:46 am »
Maybe a dunkelwezien or weizenbock

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 11:44:11 am »
I definitely think weizenbock with a healthy amount of munich malt, jmho
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 11:49:58 am »
I'm thinking the OP might enjoy a British beer such as Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale or Belhaven Scottish 80/- or 90/-.  Those are some beers I think of immediately when I hear someone wanting bready and malty.  I don't disagree with the doppelbock recommendations; however, there are other styles with a different sort of maltiness to them, as well as a touch of sticky sweetness.

Belhaven is what came to mind for me as well when I read the OP's post.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 11:55:29 am »
It's quite the range of beers suggested, but when trying to match based on written description it can be pretty hard.  Not to mention, the OP's brain knows what it's after but how to put into words, and then how to get others to interpret those words the way the OP's brain is viewing them.  Tough one.

But, it's very intriguing too.

I'd love to see the OP buy all of the aforementioned beers and work through them, and then come back with how they matched up with what is in their brain.  It would be interesting to see what beer most closely matched their desire, and how that beer fits their verbal description.

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 12:18:27 pm »
I really like scotch ales! one of my favorites is cold smoke from kettle house. I have never had a dopplebock or a weizenbock but i need to try one. Also the Munich dunkel really struck my interest! I am thinking about maybe brewing a munich dunkel and see how that is! Is there an way to get a yeasty flavor in that though? What I have in mind is like when you pitch the yeast and you can smell yeast... thats kinda what I have in my mind.

What do you guys think of the recipe?

9 Lb munich
5 lb biscuit malt
2 oz chocolate malt or carafa III? would the chocolate malt give more astringency?
8 oz of brow sugar (or maple syrup)? at 15 mins left of boil
1 oz of hallertau at 60 mins
Omega Yeast German Lager I

mash for 60 min or until i hit the OG around 1.067
boil for 90 mins
FG 1.016
IBU 14.7
ABV 7%

and suggestion if there is any way possible to get the the taste of way yeast smells. Maybe thats not possible
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:59:57 pm by JoelValach »