Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Additions/ Adjuncts  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brewing Additions/ Adjuncts
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 02:17:20 pm »
I'm sure it's as good as most others. It is more concentrated at a 1:2 ratio versus 1:1 that most cold brews recommend. It's about the same volume of coffee I would shoot for from a half pound of coffee. Big bang with little volume.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 08:54:46 pm »
Didn't someone on here put Autocrat coffee syrup in a beer?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 06:01:37 am »
Didn't someone on here put Autocrat coffee syrup in a beer?

I haven't, but that sounds tasty to me... I'm sure you'd need to use at least a whole jug or two of it, plus it has a lot of sugar so you'd need to account for that in your recipe.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 07:57:13 am »
Yeah...I'm thinking Autocrat in a milk stout...maybe find a nice British milk stout that calls for sugar adjucts, use the sugar in the Autocrat to that end...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 08:12:45 am »
Keep in mind, the sugars are fermentable.  Need to be added before fermentation is complete, and of course in a milk stout, need to use lactose to bring up the sweetness since that is unfermentable.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 05:05:19 pm »
Can anyone share their coldbrew technique for coffee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmykx250

Offline Stevie

Brewing Additions/ Adjuncts
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 07:46:25 pm »
Add coffee to water and let sit. ;)

For beer I use 8oz of coffee in a 2 quart Mason jar filled to the top with bottled water. Use a hop sack to contain the grounds. I like the results from steeping at room temp over in the fridge, but I like the fridge for settling out fine bits. Because of this I normal go for about 12 hours on the counter and then another 8 or so in the fridge. It's ok to shake it up from time to time, the key to clear extract is to not stir it up to much before pulling the sack and decanting decanting. This procedure will get you a quart plus some. I like to add a quart and then add half and half to the rest.

The wife just bought me one of these for Christmas and it's a bit small for a half pound, but works well for everyday use at about 5-6 oz for 1:1 concentrate. The screen is really well made and sturdy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ATJ6AJG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wInUyb36B6ZKJ

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 08:33:09 pm »
I use cold brew in my coffee stouts regularly, and have drank that cold brew before. It's good, I would have no qualms with using it. Although I'm not sure it adheres to LODO procedure  ;)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 02:19:29 am »
Add coffee to water and let sit. ;)

For beer I use 8oz of coffee in a 2 quart Mason jar filled to the top with bottled water. Use a hop sack to contain the grounds. I like the results from steeping at room temp over in the fridge, but I like the fridge for settling out fine bits. Because of this I normal go for about 12 hours on the counter and then another 8 or so in the fridge. It's ok to shake it up from time to time, the key to clear extract is to not stir it up to much before pulling the sack and decanting decanting. This procedure will get you a quart plus some. I like to add a quart and then add half and half to the rest.

The wife just bought me one of these for Christmas and it's a bit small for a half pound, but works well for everyday use at about 5-6 oz for 1:1 concentrate. The screen is really well made and sturdy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ATJ6AJG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wInUyb36B6ZKJ
Thanks im a coffee guy but never tried it cold. I will now.
Jimmykx250

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2017, 05:33:59 am »
I recently had a friend bring up a very valid point to me:

When it comes to adding spices, fruit, etc... there seems to be about 45 different ways people on blogs and forums and books tell you.

Ex. I was researching on how to add coffee to my imperial stout recipe and I read about grinding it up, keeping it whole, adding it during the mash, adding it during the boil, adding it during primary, adding it during secondary, "hopbacking" it, frenchpressing it into an extract, letting it sit in highproof, making a cold brew out of it and the list goes on. 95% of the sources didn't explain why, how, or the flavor contributions especially when it comes to the acidity of coffee. I find this to be true in a lot of additions to beer, there seems to be a lot of gaps as to why certain methods are used over others when it comes to sanitizing and adding adjuncts, as well as their overall effects on flavor, aroma, and color.

Are there any reliable resources (preferably one spot, such as a book) that explain adjunct additions in depth? thank you

I've never heard of a book that delves deep into the subject. It'd be interesting to read

. I've heard that the "biotransformation" of hops that is all the rave right now might also be applicable to coriander and some other spices.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 05:45:12 am »
Biotransformation is just another fancy term for an organic chemical reaction--thank goodness yeast do this or we wouldn't have beer at all!

That some strains of yeast can chemically react with some of the organic compounds in hops isn't any different in principal from the hundreds of other organic chemical reactions that occur during fermentation to make the liquids we crave.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!