Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CAP recipe  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
CAP recipe
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:32:46 pm »
Any thoughts? Really having a hard time deciding on what to brew next and have been throwing around the idea of a CAP for some time...

41% schill pilsner
36% american two row
23% flaked corn

21g Sterling 60 min
14g Sterling 15 min
14g Sterling 2 min
14g Crystal 2 min

Yeast?
Probably go with something I have on had which would be 34/70 or S-189. I assume neither of those would be preferred?

~33 IBU
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: CAP recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 01:48:57 pm »
Here's my take on a CAP (should probably call it a CUP):

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.011
IBU: 40 (tinseth)

85% Optic Malt (UK Pale; same ballpark as Golden Promise)
15% Yellow Corn Grits

60 / 15 / 5 / Steep25min
MtHood / Sterling / MtHood / Sterling (1oz each)

2124 (34/70) or 2035

Wyeast 2035 (the soon-to-be-discontinued) yeast was my preference, but 2124 was also very good.

Corn grits were precooked (3:1 water:grits); simmered 5min; cover and remove from heat 10min; add to mash.  During the 10min wait is when I mash in with remaining water and malt.  If you're good you can use the polenta to bring you up to strike temp; but the safe way is to drop the polenta temp to the strike temp and add it to the mash already resting at the correct mash temp.

It's a great beer even though it's not 20-30% corn, and non-american barley.  I once tried with Avangard Pale Ale malt - BLEH!! - that keg was dumped!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:17:27 pm »
75% six row - but two row is easier to find these days.
25% corn - I use a cereal mash, and use corn meal.

Cluster hops at 60 min, 20 IBU
Noble-ish hops at 15 and 5 min. Enough to get 15 IBU together.

WLP-833, big starter. I have some 2035 to try.

Pitch at 46, rise to 50F, D-rest if you wish.

Lager cold, 30-32 F for 4 weeks.

Have you read this from Jeff Renner?
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1298/SOzym00-Pilsner.pdf

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:40:45 pm »
Thanks. I don't plan to use/find 6 row or cluster though I realize those are traditional.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:47:24 pm »
The easy way is 2-row and flaked maize. Stirling will work great. Crystal will add a little American hops aroma, which would be nice.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 03:06:47 pm »
The easy way is 2-row and flaked maize. Stirling will work great. Crystal will add a little American hops aroma, which would be nice.

Thanks. I will check out that link for sure. Just kind of threw the recipe together so it will likely change considerably. I saw a recipe by Jamil on byo that gave me the idea.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:09:01 pm by goschman »

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 03:12:37 pm »
There might be some room for conversation about protein levels of the grist.  My understanding was that the exceptionally high proportion of adjunct (corn and/or rice, usually) was not solely as a low-cost alternative to malt, but more importantly as a "protein dilution" remedy of the 6-row malts of the time.  This would lead me to believe that if you opt to use a base malt that is lower in protein then you should consider reducing the "dilution load" (i.e. rice/corn) percentage as well.  Does anyone think there is any validity to this or am I over/undersimplifying this too much?  This aspect is one of the reasons I opted for a fairly lighter corn load in my recipe - I was using a low protein UK brewers malt.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 03:56:28 pm »
Is this a beer style that people actually like? I've never made one, but it just doesn't sound like an interesting beer to drink.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 04:18:07 pm »
Is this a beer style that people actually like? I've never made one, but it just doesn't sound like an interesting beer to drink.

They can be really good. I brew them about once a year. If you like a crisp refreshing Lager in the summertime, this is a good one to brew.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 04:38:01 pm »
+1, I like them . 80 2 row (used to be 6 row)/ 20 flaked maize. Cluster to bitter, noble late. Good stuff.
Jon H.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 05:34:13 pm »

They can be really good. I brew them about once a year. If you like a crisp refreshing Lager in the summertime, this is a good one to brew.

I like a crisp refreshing lager in the summertime for sure. I guess it is the corn that I am hung up on. What does it bring to the beer?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 05:41:14 pm »

I like a crisp refreshing lager in the summertime for sure. I guess it is the corn that I am hung up on. What does it bring to the beer?
I like brewing with adjuncts for some reason. I think corn adds a mild clean sweetness while rice is pretty neautral.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 05:43:28 pm »

It lightens body,  but also brings a subtle sweetness to the party. Corn is a vastly superior adjunct to rice IMHO.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 07:08:43 pm »
I don't fear 2o-25% corn. With 6 row it cuts the protein and lightens the grainy 6 row flavor. I haven't done one with 2 row yet, but 2 row has much more DP than it used to, so it should work just fine.

The Cluster hops at bittering add an old school flavor that makes me think of the sips of dad's and grandps's beers I had when a kid. That was back when the mainstream beers had some hops and flavor.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 11:21:21 pm »
I don't fear 2o-25% corn. With 6 row it cuts the protein and lightens the grainy 6 row flavor. I haven't done one with 2 row yet, but 2 row has much more DP than it used to, so it should work just fine.

The Cluster hops at bittering add an old school flavor that makes me think of the sips of dad's and grandps's beers I had when a kid. That was back when the mainstream beers had some hops and flavor.

+1

I agree, I like corn over rice by a long shot.  Think corn bread vs. regular bread.  There's a sweetness and grainy flavor that is really clean and refreshing, particularly on a hot summer day.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge