Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: portable oxygen cylinder  (Read 3247 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
portable oxygen cylinder
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:18:49 pm »
Those of you who use a portable oxygen cylinder: how many uses do you get?

I was in a conversation with the LHBS guy today and we started discussing those portable cylinders you get at a hardware store. I think they're about 10 bucks a piece but how many uses do you get from one?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:32:10 pm by BrewBama »

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: portable oxygen cylinder
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 05:00:56 pm »
They should last many, many batches.  I would put the number at about 15-20 batches (unless you're doing a lot of lagers in which case you can quarter that number - 4-5 batches).  Basically open the valve until O2 flows, and then back it down so it's just a trickle.  20-30 seconds is plenty for standard gravity ales.  This is all opinion of course.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:11:28 pm »
I got one of those bernzomatic red cylinders from Home Depot a year and a half ago and also a flow meter.  I do 0.5L of oxygen into each batch and, looking back at my brew logs, I have about 28 batches on this tank.  I have had to turn the valve up a bit lately, so I'm guessing it will quit at about 30 or so.

This is the flow meter I got, but there are a lot like it.  I would just suggest one without too large a range since you need 0 to 1 L/min:
https://www.amazon.com/0-3LPM-Acrylic-Oxygen-Control-Connector/dp/B01LZ8I17N/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1487808626&sr=8-18&keywords=oxygen+flow+meter

Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 05:31:14 pm »
I got one of those bernzomatic red cylinders from Home Depot a year and a half ago and also a flow meter.  I do 0.5L of oxygen into each batch and, looking back at my brew logs, I have about 28 batches on this tank.  I have had to turn the valve up a bit lately, so I'm guessing it will quit at about 30 or so.

This is the flow meter I got, but there are a lot like it.  I would just suggest one without too large a range since you need 0 to 1 L/min:
https://www.amazon.com/0-3LPM-Acrylic-Oxygen-Control-Connector/dp/B01LZ8I17N/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1487808626&sr=8-18&keywords=oxygen+flow+meter

^^I like nate's numbers more than mine. I was going off of memory and remember having a lot of batches in one red tank; but I didn't want it to seem too far-fetched so I erred on the low side.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 05:33:42 pm »
Thx folks. Pretty good info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 07:25:44 pm »
Gotta be honest. I'm not sure I've truly seen a benefit over an aquarium pump and sintered stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 08:20:12 am »
I realize this wasn't the question you asked, but FWIW I use a 5 pound welding oxygen tank with a pediatric O2 regulator. At least on paper I can get ~10ppm in ~90 seconds @ 1.5Lpm.

I've used it that way over 80 times (including batches and starters) and I haven't even seen the needle move in terms of its capacity. I'm guessing it will last > 200 uses and then a refill is pretty darned cheap.

It's a little more money up front (and space), but for me it's one less thing to worry about (and costs less over the long run). Plus, you can hit your ppm target a lot faster than with an air pump.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:23:04 am »
Plus, you can hit your ppm target a lot faster than with an air pump.

This is true.  What I meant by benefits, though, was that I can't be sure that using the O2 cylinder has improved my fermentation and/or beer.    Maybe it has, but it wasn't a game-changer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:35:10 am »
What I meant by benefits, though, was that I can't be sure that using the O2 cylinder has improved my fermentation and/or beer.    Maybe it has, but it wasn't a game-changer.
I think this is a good point and something we often overlook. There's always a way that's "faster" or "better" or "sexier" or "more like I do it", but very few people do rigorous enough comparison to know for sure that it's helping their beer.

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:44:30 am »
I have just recently started doing this and starters. I had about two dozen brews under my belt and ended up with a dumper. I reevaluated everything i was doing and decided to deminish the possibility of any more problems.

I think the point would be no matter what, your brew needs oxygen. I use the $10 bernzomatic tank and run it for 60 seconds. My first tank only lasted 4 batches but I left the tank screwed on there and i would assume I had a leak. Even if I only get 4 it's worth $2.50 per batch to ensure good fermentation in my opinion. An aquarium pump would work you would just have to run it longer. It's all oxygen.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 04:00:26 pm »
I get about 15 batches. I'm switching to a 20# tank I just bought w a flow meter. I too use 90 seconds. I've always turned it on just until I can see the wort surface move and start timer. Works for me, never had an issue with any ferment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 08:19:57 am »
I've used the little red tanks for years. I'm getting 20+ batches per tank. All it takes is a trickle for several minutes to supply enough O2 to the wort.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 05:53:12 am »
I used to get about 20 batches from mine as well. Hey Brewbama if you get tired of throwing out those little red cylinders Sexton's on Governors rents o2 tanks. Might be cheaper in the long run. Regulators are about $45.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 07:15:33 am »
I used to get about 20 batches from mine as well. Hey Brewbama if you get tired of throwing out those little red cylinders Sexton's on Governors rents o2 tanks. Might be cheaper in the long run. Regulators are about $45.

Sounds good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk