Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Green Flash Fearless 50  (Read 1707 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Green Flash Fearless 50
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:40:03 pm »
I meant to post this review last night, but this is a saison with sweet orange peel, rose hips, and El Dorado hops, brewed for Trader Joe's 50th anniversary. Honestly, it raised red flags - a 'saison' brewed by a brewery known for mostly hoppy beers, with orange peel, rose hips (which have to be used in tiny amounts to keep me from spitting it out), and El Dorado hops which aren't my favorite and easily dominate. A recipe for $5.99 down the drain.

But it's a surprisingly good beer. First off, amazingly enough, it actually uses a saison strain , a huge pet peeve for American beers labeled as saison that.....aren't. 3711 by my estimation. It's very well attenuated, another frequent pet peeve. Thankfully, the orange peel is subtle and the rose hips as well, thankfully so (worried me considerably). And the El Dorado are far from up front - definitely no IPA/saison. I really like it and will buy more. Don't get me wrong - it won't overtake Dupont any time soon,  but it's an actual legit American saison at a nice price point.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:15:43 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: Green Flash Fearless 50
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 07:44:14 am »
I found this at TJs as well and was really thrilled with it.  My wife recently bought another bottle because she knew I liked the style and didn't know if I had had it before. I'm looking forward to having it again.

We get a handful of Green Flash stuff up here in Portland but not a whole lot, so that's mostly why I grabbed it.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year