Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tilt Bluetooth floating hydrometer  (Read 23967 times)

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
Re: Tilt Bluetooth floating hydrometer
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 08:47:25 am »
So after reading about these I'm intrigued.  I ferment in a 16 gallon sanke keg (with a corny keg kid welded in) and use a chest freezer to control temps.  Would I have any problem with connecting the Tilt to something sitting outside of the chest freezer?

I put a Tilt in a corny keg yesterday for a high pressure lager fermentation.  I had to put my tablet within inches of the keg to get a reading from the Tilt.  Signal was best at the lid, of course. 

Now that the pressure relief is cycling, I'll recheck to see if the signal is escaping with the CO2.   ;D
My guess is that whatever signal may be getting out right now won't be enough to connect to the app once the keg goes into the lagering fridge.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 06:08:09 pm »
I just finished brewing a Belgian Dark Strong.  I am pleasantly surprised that I can pick up the signal since the Tilt is inside a stainless conical which is inside a freezer fermentation chamber.  Nice!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 08:44:05 am »
So here is some interesting TILT behavior.

I was fermenting a Belgian IPA with WLP 510 a very sticky yeast. Just as it approached high krausen the TILT began to read about 8 SG pts low. When I racked to keg the tilt had huge globs of yeast stuck to the top throwing of the buoyancy.  Suspected that was the issue. In water it read at 1.000.
I had enough similar experiences with the BrewBug that I've stopped using it (e.g. inaccurate readings due to CO2 or krausen).

The data was cool at first, but I noticed that by watching my temp graphs (delta between chamber and beer temp) and how often my chest freezer had to cycle on and off to maintain temp I could pretty much determine my progress toward FG with similar accuracy. And there's always the initial method of counting bubbles in my airlock within X seconds and comparing that to the last measurement.

If I had it to do over again I'd borrow one of these to document how a specific recipe/yeast behaves and then I'd give it back to save work and eliminate reasons for me to obsess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 09:12:27 am »
I just finished brewing a Belgian Dark Strong.  I am pleasantly surprised that I can pick up the signal since the Tilt is inside a stainless conical which is inside a freezer fermentation chamber.  Nice!

I'm going to blame my lack of signal on the double-walled construction of the keg.  I switched to a device with a better BT receiver and was able to increase my signal reception range from a couple of inches to just over a foot.  Once the freezer door was closed on the fermentation chamber, it was lights out!  Plastic and glass carboys, I can get signal from the Tilt just about anywhere in the house. 

Nice to have, fun to play with, but I'm still checking everything with my hydrometer.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 10:49:06 am »
Yes, my thought is the main benefit will be knowing if the fermentation stalls or as an indication that it is done
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dfaa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 10:28:18 am »
Hello visit our new Online Monitor.beer that makes it easy for home brewers to get graphical display of the fermentation process with Tilt hydrometer, Ispindel hydrometer or Plaato hydrometer from anywhere.

Plaato is a running kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792157374/plaato-reinventing-the-airlock.

Ispindel is a DIY Hydrometer: http://hackaday.com/2017/03/01/iot-device-pulls-its-weight-in-home-brewing/

On Monitor.beer you will have a full overview throughout the fermentation process wherever you may be. Having full control during fermentation is a must for brewing a fantastic beer.

Here you will find us: https://monitor.beer

Online information during fermentation:

Continuous alcohol%.
Continuous yeast attenuation%.
Continuous fermentation%.
Continuous temperature.
Ongoing SG.
How long sg is stable for days.
Minimum temperature through fermentation.
Average temperature through fermentation.
Maximum temperature through fermentation.
Number of days fermentation.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 03:00:04 pm »
Interesting!  I'll look at that when I get home.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 03:11:01 pm »
Craftbeerpi just got a plugin that monitors Tilts. Very excited about Craftbeerpi's prospects.

The Beerery

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 07:36:30 pm »
I just threw together a BIAB system with CBPv3

Offline Stevie

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 08:31:42 am »
I just threw together a BIAB system with CBPv3

Nice. I have been toying around with a K-RIMS for a while.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2018, 07:43:46 am »
Almost a year since anyone talked about the Tilt. Any further thoughts? I just picked a couple up off of eBay when it was 20% off site wide. Have them both in batches right now. I like the idea of not needing to sample to tell when ferm is slowing down. Did not calibrate for temp or gravity before using. They seem to be doing fine, reading same exact temp, same wort, same yeast, gravity within a point of each other. Any tips or complaints from those of you who have been using for over a year? Are you still using them? Mine are in buckets, inside a chest freezer, in the basement. I can get a reading most places in the house, even upstairs, that's a big plus for me.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2018, 11:09:29 am »
Since I ferment in a stainless conical, I can't readily view and assess fermentation activity. Of course, that visual check doesn't really tell you much anyhow. You have to check gravity. Using the Tilt has proven worthwhile to me since I can non-intrusively check gravity in an instant and I don't waste a couple hundred ml's of beer either.

While yeast trub adhering onto the top of the Tilt can affect gravity readings, I'm less worried that its readings might be off a bit. The main thing I'm looking for is the change in gravity over time so that I can plan my transfer to keg (for spunding) or dry hopping (near the end of ferment). I find that it performs well in that case.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2018, 07:07:38 pm »
Thanks for posting this Frank, and Martin for the feedback.  I have been looking at these toys with interest lately, will likely pick up a couple.   

Offline Robert

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 08:43:24 pm »
Kind of curious.   But I have questions.   I like to harvest yeast, but I ferment not in a conical, but a Speidel, with draw tube and thermowell intruding near the bottom, and I have visions of my $135 toy getting swirlied and whacked on the equipment as I break up the cake for harvesting.   Just how robust are these gizmos?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 09:12:57 pm »
Like I said, I have two working and it does seem pretty damn handy. Like Martin said, no need to pull samples, I can get a good idea of what's going on withoit even opening the fermenters

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)