Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tilt Bluetooth floating hydrometer  (Read 23931 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Tilt Bluetooth floating hydrometer
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2018, 11:45:40 am »
I seem to always miss the spund window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2018, 12:36:16 pm »
Missed this spund window.

Bummer.

I'm looking forward to trying it out, but if it doesn't work as advertised I will definitely be returning it.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2018, 12:54:39 pm »
Missed this spund window.

Bummer.

I'm looking forward to trying it out, but if it doesn't work as advertised I will definitely be returning it.
My guess is this will require at least slight agitation daily to get a good reading.  Kind of bummed about that.  I am willing to give it another try but so far, not thrilled.  I should probably have looked at the return policy first, not sure what it is. 

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2018, 02:16:28 pm »
I should probably have looked at the return policy first, not sure what it is. 

"NEW TILT PURCHASED FROM TILTHYDROMETER.COM

If you’re not satisfied, neither are we. If for any reason you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase of a new item from us, simply return it in its original condition within 30 days of purchase and we’ll give you a full refund. It’s that simple.

Returned items must be in original, new condition, showing no signs of significant wear. Your refund will be promptly processed upon successful return.

Refunds are made for product value only, excluding shipping and handling charges. If you received Free Shipping on your order, the value of the uncharged shipping cost will be deducted from your refund.

If you have any questions, please contact us at info@baronbrew.com"

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2018, 02:18:01 pm »
I should probably have looked at the return policy first, not sure what it is. 

"NEW TILT PURCHASED FROM TILTHYDROMETER.COM

If you’re not satisfied, neither are we. If for any reason you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase of a new item from us, simply return it in its original condition within 30 days of purchase and we’ll give you a full refund. It’s that simple.

Returned items must be in original, new condition, showing no signs of significant wear. Your refund will be promptly processed upon successful return.

Refunds are made for product value only, excluding shipping and handling charges. If you received Free Shipping on your order, the value of the uncharged shipping cost will be deducted from your refund.

If you have any questions, please contact us at info@baronbrew.com"
Fair enough.  Need to brew again quickly then...
Thanks!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2018, 02:37:53 pm »
Also, as chance would have it, I looked closer at the carboy just now (advantage: glass).  Still krausen, some bubbling, and what's that?  Trub sitting on top of the tilt.  Swirled again to remove and looked at the readout.
The disappearing, reappearing, spunding window.  Getting ready to keg now. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:41:06 pm by JT »

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2018, 03:38:08 pm »
No Diacetyl rest?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2018, 03:43:23 pm »
No Diacetyl rest?
Once kegged, it will continue to ferment (keg will be held around 50°).  Think of it as  transfering to "secondary".  The spunding valve will vent excess co2, but allow enough to remain in the keg to carbonate naturally (while remaining yeast continues to remove diacetyl).   

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2018, 06:37:06 pm »
Ok.  I'm giving this round to the Tilt and calling it a success.  Beer is kegged, spunding valve in place, fingers are crossed.
Pictured here: Tilt reading after mild agitation, picture of Tilt after carboy is drained (some trub remaining on unit), & hydrometer reading. 
Edit: Not pictured but also being tested: Clear Beer Draught System in the keg. 

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:37:56 pm by JT »

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2018, 09:03:07 am »
Ok.  I'm giving this round to the Tilt and calling it a success.  Beer is kegged, spunding valve in place, fingers are crossed.
Pictured here: Tilt reading after mild agitation, picture of Tilt after carboy is drained (some trub remaining on unit), & hydrometer reading. 

Got a quick question.  If I'm reading it correctly, the hydrometer is showing a reading of 1.015 and I'm assuming a calibration temp of 60F.  When I use the online temp correction software it tells me that the corrected reading is 1.014.  Here's the question.  Why is the Tilt showing an uncalibrated reading of 1.014?
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2018, 11:51:40 am »

Got a quick question.  If I'm reading it correctly, the hydrometer is showing a reading of 1.015 and I'm assuming a calibration temp of 60F.  When I use the online temp correction software it tells me that the corrected reading is 1.014.  Here's the question.  Why is the Tilt showing an uncalibrated reading of 1.014?
The large number on the Tilt is the  calibrated reading.  Tilt always displays the factory out of the box reading as well in smaller digits, marked as uncalibrated. 

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2018, 11:57:21 am »
Ok, thanks.

Might have to look into 1 or 2 of these.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2018, 02:17:51 pm »
I received mine in the mail yesterday and was able to do a quick test.

In distilled water at 75.0° as measured by Thermapen, my hydrometer reading (as corrected for temperature) was. 1.000.  Tilt reading was 75.0° and 1.001. 

Then I made a sugar solution at 76.7° as measured by Thermapen.  Hydrometer reading as corrected for temperature was 1.018.  Tilt reading was 76.0° and 1.018.

So far, so good. I'm brewing on Sunday, so I'll see how it compares in actual wort.

I assume the Tilt reading is already corrected for temperature.  I'll see if I can verify that somewhere though.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2018, 12:16:29 pm »
I was able to brew yesterday.  OG per hydrometer was 1.072; Tilt was reading 1.070. 

My accuracy in reading my hydrometer is probably +/- 0.001, and the Tilt's accuracy is listed as +/- 0.002, so that seems about right.

This morning, about 14 hours after pitching yeast, the Tilt was reading 1.063.  The temperature is reading within 0.3° of my Auber controller.

I'm looking forward to checking it when I get home tonight.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2018, 07:51:42 pm »
I was able to brew yesterday.  OG per hydrometer was 1.072; Tilt was reading 1.070. 

My accuracy in reading my hydrometer is probably +/- 0.001, and the Tilt's accuracy is listed as +/- 0.002, so that seems about right.

This morning, about 14 hours after pitching yeast, the Tilt was reading 1.063.  The temperature is reading within 0.3° of my Auber controller.

I'm looking forward to checking it when I get home tonight.
Hope it works well for you. For me, it did what I wanted it to - gave me a heads up on the approximate gravity for spunding transfer.  Before using one I had no clue how fast it was fermenting (not a fan of taking samples from a glass carboy).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:14:36 pm by JT »