Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Non-BJCP Scoring Sheet for Club Competitions and General AHA Gripe  (Read 4082 times)

Offline reuman

• 1st Kit
Do any of you use a non-BJCP scoring sheet for your club competitions? Some of the competitions we are doing this year don't follow BJCP guidelines and the BJCP scoring sheet isn't really appropriate for that.

Also, just a general gripe. I'm disappointed with the lack of resources the AHA has for clubs on the website. It would be helpful to have more suggested best practices for local clubs on the AHA website. There's good stuff on the forum but it's not even close enough if you are newer to club leadership.   

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Non-BJCP Scoring Sheet for Club Competitions and General AHA Gripe
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:54:55 am »
There have been seminars at HomebrewCon covering clubs. A quick scan of the 2016 conference showed that there are 3 or 4 that may apply.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/

There are many ways for clubs to function.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline wmbolling

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:03:01 am »
One of the AHA's goals this year is to re-design the section of the AHA website pertaining to clubs to offer more resources like these. We began by launching the Club Connection newsletter in November. The next issue will be sent out at the beginning of March to your club's email that is registered with the AHA. You can see the last 2 issues here:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/club-connection-november-2016-issue-1/

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/club-connection-january-2017-issue-2/

The January issue actually focused on new clubs, which is a topic that you mentioned... so I highly recommend checking it out!

If you have suggestions for what you would like to see in the website re-design, you can email me directly at matt@brewersassociation.org, you can send your suggestions to the AHA Clubs Subcommittee: aha-clubs@brewersassociation.org. We're always looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

Matt Bolling
AHA Events & Membership Coordinator
matt@brewersassociation.org
Matt Bolling

Offline reuman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:31:25 am »
Okay Matt, I've worked in associations and I get your point. I'll email my additional gripes off-line.

My main question still remains. I'm still looking for a non-BJCP score sheet if anybody has anything. 

Offline wmbolling

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 10:57:19 am »
Okay Matt, I've worked in associations and I get your point. I'll email my additional gripes off-line.

My main question still remains. I'm still looking for a non-BJCP score sheet if anybody has anything.

No need to take anything off-line! This is the kind of feebback that we appreciate, and are happy to act on.

Unfortunately we don't have a non-BJCP scoresheet as you described - but this is a great suggestion. Feel free to email the subcommittee suggesting it! I'll keep tabs on this thread for any examples that others on the forum might post, and maybe we can turn that in to a resource in the new web design. Thanks!
Matt Bolling

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:12:36 am »
Is the short form more to what you want? You can ignore the style parts and just rate the beer and check the boxes, and rate on your impressions as to how you like it.
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Beer_checklist.pdf

Or make up your own.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 11:30:37 am »
One competition I participate in each year made their own scoresheet. The comp is only for stouts. The scoring categories include color, "is it dark enough to be a stout?". Taste, "is it roasty enough?" and creativity. If interested I could probably get a soft copy and email it to you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 02:15:25 pm »

You'll probably have to create your own sheet if you want it customized to your specific needs. But, the BJCP score sheet is meant as a heuristic for general beer evaluation. Even if you don't use official styles, the general categories of aroma, appearance, flavor, mouthfeel and overall impression are good ways to think about and evaluate beer.

I've seen some use a variation of the scoresheet used at the WBC...It's very simple, and is more about checking where the beer falls on a range of appropriate to inappropriate for a given characteristic . You'd probably have to re-create it though, as I didn't see it available online anywhere. Pic: http://hoptripper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/WBCballot2.jpg.

For some of the intro judging classes I teach, I created a really, really basic mini scoresheet (4 to a standard 8.5 x 11 page) that follows the BJCP categories and scoring. I have it in my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/he4wmttsrclsi8h/Mini%20Beer%20Scoresheet.docx?dl=0

I hope some of that info helps.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:19:32 pm by dsmitch19 »
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline reuman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 07:45:39 am »
Thank you, that gives me some ideas for creating my own score sheets.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 10:37:45 am »
Mirella over at the beerology.ca website has a nice one.

http://beerology.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Beerology-Evaluation-Sheet.pdf
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 10:54:52 pm »
Thank you, that gives me some ideas for creating my own score sheets.

My club uses a very watered down version of a BJCPStyles score sheet. We have space for 10 beers each month and you score beers based on the BJCPStyles.  Very easy to make this in a spread sheet. If we have more than 10 beers we just add columns.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."