Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold crash for 11 days or leave in fermenter longer?  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Cold crash for 11 days or leave in fermenter longer?
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:24:30 am »
I have a stout that's been the fermenter for 13 days and is finished  according to FG checks.  Getting ready to go out of town,  and wondering what's the best for the brew? 

Should I leave it in the fermenter longer or cold crash for 9 days?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Cold crash for 11 days or leave in fermenter longer?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:25:45 pm »
If all the diacetyl is gone, it doesn't really matter.  If you are looking to keg when you get back then why not store cold?

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:56:33 pm »
If it were a different style I might store it cold (for clarity purposes) but what I typically do is leave it at room temp and then deal with it when I return.  I'm actually doing the exact same thing right now... I had a gold lager in primary, took it out of the cool spot this morning to finish up and then I'm traveling for work starting on Sunday and I'll be out for a week.  When I get back the beer will be done and it will probably be very clear... and then it will go to a keg.  I always figure that when the beer is left at room temp you might be getting the last couple of ticks out of the beer and making sure it's fully attenuated so I would probably just leave it at room temp.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:45:38 pm »
If all the diacetyl is gone, it doesn't really matter.  If you are looking to keg when you get back then why not store cold?

Agreed
Jon H.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:04:09 pm »
I would leave it for the extra time then cold crash it. Although, like was stated earlier if the diacetyl is gone then it doesn't matter.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk