Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trimmed Dip Tube when Spunding?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Trimmed Dip Tube when Spunding?
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:18:02 pm »
I have been spunding for my last 10 beers, and many of them have real problems clearing up.  I find that there is a lot of particulate matter that keeps coming out in the beer.  If I give it a while in the glass it tends to settle out, which makes me think it is stuff that was already settled in the keg but just got sucked up by the dip tube (since it is at the bottom). 

So my question to the other spunders out there, did you trim the dip tubes in your kegs?  I've always thought that didn't seem like something that would be needed, but with the somewhat increased level of junk that is settling out with the spunded beers maybe it makes some sense.

Thoughts?
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Trimmed Dip Tube when Spunding?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:27:02 pm »
This is a picture of some Scottish 60/- that I just pulled which has been in the fridge for a couple weeks.  I have been pulling a few oz of stuff every couple days to get the goo out.  Those particles are settling out slowly.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 07:33:51 pm »
IIRC Bryan posted that he waits until after FG then gives the keg a quick swirl or two, then pumps out a big slug of yeast. Then waits an hour and does it again. Gonna start doing that.
Jon H.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 07:36:19 pm »
hm, I could give it a swirl and run that out.  I'll go give that a shot and see if it helps.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:58:24 pm »
If you spund in a keg then use this device to transfer to a clean keg will you avoid this problem?

http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/info.html

The Beerery

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:13:05 pm »
Giving away all my secrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 08:14:08 pm »
That would probably work but I'm not really looking for something I can do at no cost.

I did pick the keg up and give it a couple twists and then ran out a pint of goo, so maybe a couple of those will clean the stuff out sufficiently.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 08:16:54 pm »
Hey Bryan, how many times do you have to 'flush' the yeast out of the keg?  I would think that 2 or 3 should do the job.

The Beerery

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:32:34 pm »
I do 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 09:20:31 am »
I don't spund, but I do ferment in kegs, so I'm not sure if my procedure might differ from yours. I don't trim my dip tubes. When I'm ready to transfer to a serving keg, I just blow out a few ounces through a picnic tap until it runs mostly clear. Then I close the tap for 5-10 seconds and repeat. I keep doing this until it stays clear, then switch to my keg jumper. My kegged beer might be chunky for the first couple of pints, but it's not generally any worse than when I used buckets and an autosiphon to transfer.

Yeast flocculance also makes a difference. I find that flocculant yeast tend to stay in the fermenter better, and more powdery yeast will end up taking longer to clear in the serving keg.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 01:02:17 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what is going on with my setup.  I did the 'swirl it up and pull the goo' method 3 times over a couple days, and that has stopped me from getting big piles of good out each time but I still have lots of small particles in suspension.  I think I have pulled 3 pints since my last swirl and dump, and the suspended particle density looks similar to the original picture. 

I'm sure it will clear eventually, but I hate to pull a gallon of beer out of it to get that to happen.

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 01:23:56 pm »
I don't spund, but I do ferment in kegs. During fermentation, I take my dip tube out and don't put it back in until fermentation is complete. I'm not a LODO guy though so YMMV.