Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to recover yeast out of a bucket  (Read 2734 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
How to recover yeast out of a bucket
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:49:35 am »
I finally ended up using a bucket for fermentation after years of only glass carboys.

Now I want to harvest the yeast after fermentation is complete.
Can anyone offer tips or tricks? 

Normally on a glass carboy I would burn some everclear on the rim and swirl and pour into sanitized mason jars.

What is a good process for a bucket?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: How to recover yeast out of a bucket
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:57:16 am »
I use a sanitized spoon and spoon it into sanitized mason jars, taking care not to let "stuff" fall into the bucket as I work.  I've also used a paper towel drenched in sanitizer to wipe down a section on the rim of the bucket where I can pour from (but I prefer the spooning method because I can target the yeast cake and avoid most of the beer; granted, I put a few spoonfuls of beer on top afterwards to reduce headspace in the jar).  This is just how I do it and it's been working pretty good for me.  I'm sure other folks have more creative/effective ways that work for them.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:17:34 am »
I just wipe some sanitizer on the upper part of the bucket and pour through a sanitized funnel. I use the yeast shortly after harvest or else I toss it after a few weeks, though.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 05:30:14 am »
I just wipe some sanitizer on the upper part of the bucket and pour through a sanitized funnel. I use the yeast shortly after harvest or else I toss it after a few weeks, though.

Yeah, same here.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 10:19:02 am »
I use wide mouth plastic containers for storage, so no need for a funnel.  I also don't bother sanitizing the rim of my bucket.  It was sanitized before the beer went it.  What's the point?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 10:32:40 am »
It was sanitized before the beer went it.  What's the point?

Well, for starters (no pun intended), the sanitizer may have dried leaving the surface open for contaminants to settle, in which case you would be "washing" those contaminants into the jar you're using to collect the slurry.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 05:25:54 am »
Thanks fellas, I will probably err on the side of caution and use some sanitizer on the rim.

I guess the bucket worked out ok...I missed being able to see what was going on but it was nice to transport around with the handle.

I assume you don't have to worry about exposure to light, other than direct sunlight, when using buckets?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 09:38:15 am »
Sanitize a measuring cup and scoop it out.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 09:55:57 am »
Sanitize a measuring cup and scoop it out.

that's what I do.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tracebusta

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 11:03:00 am »
Before I started harvesting off of the starter, I would just sanitize the rim of the bucket and pour it into my container.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 11:03:38 am »
Sanitize a jar and stick it right in the yeast sludge and scoop it right out.  Seal the jar, then rinse off the outside of it, dry it, and label it.  Or most often, I do the same with an old White Labs tube.  Works great.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 12:37:24 pm »
I use wide mouth plastic containers for storage, so no need for a funnel.  I also don't bother sanitizing the rim of my bucket.  It was sanitized before the beer went it.  What's the point?
How long do you keep a jar of yeast before you decide to throw it away? I've brewed with a repitch of 1056 that's been over six months and haven't noticed a problem. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 01:04:24 pm »
How long do you keep a jar of yeast before you decide to throw it away? I've brewed with a repitch of 1056 that's been over six months and haven't noticed a problem. 

My personal rule of thumb, based on my own anecdotal experience, is that refrigerated yeast will keep for roughly 9 months.  After that it gets tossed, at least out of my own refrigerator.  YMMV.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 02:55:28 pm »
I'm pretty technical about this. I grab a Pyrex measuring cup, tilt fermenter, scoop, and then fill pint jar. ✌️I do try to eliminate trub and break before fermentation. I've never had an issue doing it this way. Really easy as that. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B