Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 3 tap kegerator  (Read 2574 times)

Offline tracebusta

• 1st Kit
3 tap kegerator
« on: February 24, 2017, 12:44:15 pm »
I'm starting to look into kegging. My plan is to gather a list of materials and start buying them piece-meal in order to spread the cost out over time. Here's my ideal situation: optimize beer choice and minimize the footprint. I'd like to take a dorm fridge and modify it to fit 3 kegs. I'd prefer to not add a collar to the door, but I'd be open to doing that. Is this kind of setup possible, or is it a pipe dream?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
3 tap kegerator
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 12:51:50 pm »
Don't do it piece meal, save up a buy what you want and do it at one time. Use picnic taps for a while, but buying faucets without shanks, tower, et al just means you will have boxes of parts that are useless on their own.

There is a Danby that can hold 2 kegs, maybe 3. Some modification to the door will be needed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:55:38 pm by Stevie »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: 3 tap kegerator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:47:12 pm »
No way you'll get three kegs in without modification of the door.

If you want to keep the existing door interior (shelves, etc.) you'll need a collar.

In the event you're using pin-locks or converted pin-locks three kegs may not be possible without a collar.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tracebusta

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 01:59:37 pm »
I have no problem modifying the door or the interior of the fridge where needed, I'm just trying to avoid a collar for esthetic reasons.

Anyone know of any models that would hold 3 kegs? All of my searches bring me to places that sell 3 tap kegerators, which are more expensive than I want to pay (also takes away the DIY aspect).

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:04:24 pm »
Now, I'd like to be proved wrong but two ball-lock or slimline torpedo kegs is all that will fit in a "dorm fridge" without a big collar.  And that collar would be a tough build.  Hmmm...could be done though.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 09:07:41 am »
I have an actual 3-tap kegerator that is a really, really tight squeeze for 3 kegs as-is, and it is bigger than any dorm fridge I've ever seen. Depending on the compressor location, you might have a hard time fitting even one 2.5 gallon keg in a dorm fridge, let alone three 5-gallon kegs.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tracebusta

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 12:22:07 pm »
I have an actual 3-tap kegerator that is a really, really tight squeeze for 3 kegs as-is, and it is bigger than any dorm fridge I've ever seen. Depending on the compressor location, you might have a hard time fitting even one 2.5 gallon keg in a dorm fridge, let alone three 5-gallon kegs.
What's the make and model of your fridge?

This project might be a long shot, but I'm hoping to make it happen.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 12:37:20 pm »

This is the one I have:

http://beermeistersupplies.com/beer-dispensing/kegerators/homebrew/triple-tower-with-black-door-homebrew-value-line-no-kegs-included.html

By all means, don't let me talk you out of your project. Half the fun is getting there, which is why most of us homebrew in the first place :)
Eric B.

Offline tracebusta

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 07:40:27 am »

This is the one I have:

http://beermeistersupplies.com/beer-dispensing/kegerators/homebrew/triple-tower-with-black-door-homebrew-value-line-no-kegs-included.html

By all means, don't let me talk you out of your project. Half the fun is getting there, which is why most of us homebrew in the first place :)
Thanks! It doesn't give the make and model number of the fridge, but it does give the dimensions which are very helpful.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 08:49:24 am »

This is the one I have:

Thanks! It doesn't give the make and model number of the fridge, but it does give the dimensions which are very helpful.

I've heard that Beermeister rebadges their fridges, but I have no idea what the equivalent manufacturer and model number is.
Eric B.

Offline tracebusta

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 11:16:44 am »

This is the one I have:

I've heard that Beermeister rebadges their fridges, but I have no idea what the equivalent manufacturer and model number is.
I was thinking they might do something like that. Trade secrets, not letting people like me just make a parts list and do it myself, etc. Thanks for your help!