Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Glass Disaster  (Read 7078 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Glass Disaster
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 07:42:16 pm »
For you guys using something other than glass...can you still use a Fermwrap on them. Just wondering if either the heat or the electricity is a problem on plastic or stainless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use my Brew Belt on my fermentation kegs with no issue.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2017, 08:29:45 pm »
I have no desire to go back to glass carboys whatsoever. I'm just too much of a klutz :)

Perhaps it would be helpful to add that I've been using the same hydrometer for >100 batches since 1999.  ;)

You need to brew more, Dave!  :P
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 08:37:21 pm »
I've always used plastic Better Bottles. It's what we started with. I use ferm wraps on them for just about every batch.

Though I have no issues with the Better Bottles, I won't be buying anymore. Buckets are easier. They store way better, easier to clean, protect from UV better, and have a built in handle for easy carrying.

My uncle brought home about 8 glass carboys one day. I refuse to use them. They are collecting dirt in the barn. I'd rather end up with a rare infected beer (though probably not dependent to plastic) than to break glass and chance slicing my wrists. With your experience, your choice should be very easy.

Frank

Offline lindak

• Cellarman
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2017, 05:01:36 pm »
Successfully used a fermwrap on better bottles, buckets, vantage plastic carboys and spiedel fermenters.  No issues, but sometimes it is a challenge to get them taped down on the uneven exteriors. 

Offline lizaambler

• Cellarman
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 06:40:05 am »
Well I brewed yesterday and used a plastic bucket. This morning it's bubbling away, and I don't expect to have any problems. Thanks for the discussion on Fermwrap; I was actually wondering if that was an option.

Offline blain

• 1st Kit
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2017, 08:40:23 am »
+1 for the Speidel Fermenters.

I've broken a couple of Glass Carboys, but thankfully never with a fresh batch of wort. Mine have all broken during cleaning from just being a little too careless.

Needless to say, that was enough to convince me to switch to plastic. I have tried Buckets, Plastic Carboys, and then finally stuck with Speidel plastic Fermenters.

The plastic Carboy was much too thin. It was easily distorted and hard to clean just like a glass carboy but with the added fear of scratching.

Buckets are nice and cheap, sometimes there is no activity in the airlock making you wonder if the seal is really sealing correctly. Then there's also the pain of taking the lid on and off. But on a budget, it is clearly a great choice.

The Speidel Plastic fementers are great! Super easy to clean. I have only ever had to wipe with a wet paper towel or my hand to clean. They are super sturdy. The walls of the fermenter are not going to dent like the plastic Carboys. You have the option of putting the included spigot on the bottom to easily take gravity readings and to make transfers to secondary or keg.

Ultimately I would like to make the move to Stainless, but I also want to step it up when I do, so it would be a very costly move. For now though, I am more than happy with the Speidel Fermenters.

Best Regards,
Blain