Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 34/70  (Read 1436 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
34/70
« on: March 03, 2017, 10:50:26 pm »
So I have 5.75 gallons of Doppelbock at 1.085. I was not able to use my intended yeast due to my lack of brewing, so I'm going to use 34/70. How many packs? I have 5 available, thinking 2, or do I need 3. Beersmith is telling me to use 4. Don't think I'm going that far, but I can be convinced. Its in the chest freezer to get down from 60 to 48 overnight. What are your thoughts for my pitch tomorrow? Thanks in advance.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: 34/70
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:51:53 am »
If you are planning to ferment cold (like 48-50), I would pitch 4.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:58:49 am »
I had a doppelbock a few years ago take first in the first round of NHC. I used one pack.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 08:25:27 am »
4 packs rehydrating. Upon further inspection, it looks like 2 of those had best by dates from last year and 1 in 2015. Really kind of frustrating that I did not check them better when buying. They were all bought within the last 1.5 years. So better safe than sorry. I spent too much time on this brew yesterday to let a yeast issue make it all for naught. Thanks Narcout and bengelbrau
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)