Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Polish mead  (Read 2633 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Polish mead
« on: July 04, 2010, 11:46:13 am »
Czwórniak — A Polish mead, made using three units of water for each unit of honey.  3lb/gal

Trójniak — A Polish mead, made using two units of water for each unit of honey.  4lb/gal

Dwójniak — A Polish mead, made using equal amounts of water and honey.  6lb/gal

Półtorak — A Polish great mead, made using two units of honey for each unit of water.  8lb/gal

... how the... this doesn't seem physically possible.  Poltorak would start around 1.264 gravity and end around 1.118 if it hit 20% ABV.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Polish mead
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:16:24 pm »
For 5 gallons @ 8#/gal I get SG 1.280 and a FG of 1.070 and 27% ABV.

Whew! I think the yeast could do it given time but damn...

I'll have to bust out my copy of With Fire and Sword again and read about all those Polish Mead drinkin' Knights...LOL
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline egghead

• 1st Kit
Re: Polish mead
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:12:08 pm »
Czwórniak — A Polish mead, made using three units of water for each unit of honey.  3lb/gal

Trójniak — A Polish mead, made using two units of water for each unit of honey.  4lb/gal

Dwójniak — A Polish mead, made using equal amounts of water and honey.  6lb/gal

Półtorak — A Polish great mead, made using two units of honey for each unit of water.  8lb/gal

... how the... this doesn't seem physically possible.  Poltorak would start around 1.264 gravity and end around 1.118 if it hit 20% ABV.

To make a Półtorak, you start out with a must that's 2 parts water for each part honey.  Then you step feed the yeast, adding the honey in the latter stages of fermentation or during aging.