Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cleaning auto siphon  (Read 6275 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
cleaning auto siphon
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:45:34 pm »
How do you guys clean your uto siphon? I have been looking for a rubbermaid container 24"x16"x3" deep with a lid for storage and cleaning and i have found one but im not willing to pay 50 bucks for the set. Any input as to what you guys are doing for cleaning and storage woulf be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jimmykx250

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
Re: cleaning auto siphon
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:48:44 pm »
When I clean out my carboy with PBW & hot water I usually just soak the auto siphon inside the carboy and for an hour that it takes and to clean and  I just give it a good rinse and sanitize before I use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 04:22:04 pm »
A long wallpaper tray is what I used when I was using an auto-siphon. They are cheap, but they don't have a lid. I suggest that you don't need to store in sanitizer. Just clean the siphon prior to storing and then use the tray for holding your sanitizing solution.

PS: Iodophor is more effective against a wider range of spoiling organisms than Starsan. But I still like to use Starsan on occasion.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:44:20 pm »
I just rinse my racking gear with hot water. I'll soak from time to time, but not often.

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 07:02:58 pm »
A long wallpaper tray is what I used when I was using an auto-siphon. They are cheap, but they don't have a lid. I suggest that you don't need to store in sanitizer. Just clean the siphon prior to storing and then use the tray for holding your sanitizing solution.

PS: Iodophor is more effective against a wider range of spoiling organisms than Starsan. But I still like to use Starsan on occasion.

Interesting about iodophor, that's the first I've heard that

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 07:19:44 pm »
I rinse well after use then hit it with starsan.
Then, rinse again and starsan before use.
The wallpaper tray works great when I have them.  If not. I always use a bucket of sanitizer and will ensure the whole thing gets soaked one end at a time and of course, running the sanitizer through it.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 07:58:16 pm »
Separate the pieces and rinse them all (thoroughly, i.e. for a minute or two) under hot tap water. Then give the tube parts several vigorous shakes, like you're cracking a whip. Store upright (I put mine in a bucket) in a warm area to allow the water droplets to evaporate out of the tubes. In a day, they should be mostly or all the way dry. Shake them out a couple times during the drying process, to thin out the water droplets, it will speed the drying. The idea is simply to dry them quickly before you put them away for storage. I've been using the same siphon tube, and even transfer tubing, for about 7 years now, no problems.

Offline nero558

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 08:00:09 pm »
I just rinse with hot water immediately after use, if it has anything stuck on it, I'll use my brush that I clean my tubing with and brush it off. I store it in my bottling bucket, and when I go to use it I rinse it off, then hit it with sanitizer before use. Never had any issues

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 09:56:08 pm »
Step 1: Take autosiphon

Step 2: Attempt to clean and sanitize autosiphon

Step 3: Realize that in doing so, you caused it to crack due to exposure of temperatures outsides of it's intended materials.

Step 4: Throw away autosiphon.

Step 5: Buy new autosiphon.

Repeat steps 1-5 at least 3 times, then buy a more durable alternative.

I would REALLY like if they would improve their design and use a more duable plastic material that can actually be cleaned and sanitized with anything above room temperature without cracking and spider webbing.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:20:12 pm by Pricelessbrewing »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 10:11:52 pm »
Check northern brewer. They made a "better" version.

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 10:18:09 pm »

Max temp 140F. Sounds like it's more of a copy cat then any real improvement.

Offline Stevie

cleaning auto siphon
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 10:23:54 pm »

Max temp 140F. Sounds like it's more of a copy cat then any real improvement.
Why do you need higher than 140°? That's way too hot for any plastic products or your hands.

Offline Stepp2

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 10:41:23 pm »
Currently I have a small concrete mix bucket for sanitizer. HomeDepot has them. It's also a nice storage tub for gear when it's not in use.
I also use a hot PBW or Oxiclean cleaner and hot water rinse at the end of all my brew sessions. Siphon, pump, valves, hoses, kettles and mash tun all get a soaking then rinse. Yes the siphon is spidered. Oh well. At one time there was a Kickstarter for a Stainless Steel siphon. Anyone know it's status? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 04:37:43 am »
Cleaning- wipe outside parts with washcloth and spray inside and out with hose.  When I soak with cleanser, I use a pot and flip it over and soak the other end. Same with sanitizing.

Storage- I found a Sterilite storage tote 24x15x6 at Target for under $10. 

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 07:34:54 am »
After each use, I usually clean the outside with soap and water. Then I take a pint glass with warm soapy water and pump from top to bottom circulating the soapy water back into the pint glass. I empty the soapy water in pint glass and run clean water into glass while pumping auto siphon into sink drain to rinse. Take it apart and rinse some more. Then hang to dry and sanitize with Iodophor or starsan on the next brew day.   I store it in the original bag in a sterilite bin with my other equipment mostly to keep it from getting scratched.
Mark