Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where'd my 5 gallon brew go??  (Read 6127 times)

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Where'd my 5 gallon brew go??
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 05:43:01 pm »
Is your fermentor accurately marked for the five gallon level?  You can always bump up your volume in the fermentor with DME to cover the expected volume loss to trub.

Offline cdawson

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 07:47:08 am »
Is your fermentor accurately marked for the five gallon level?  You can always bump up your volume in the fermentor with DME to cover the expected volume loss to trub.

My LHBS builds his kits to target 5.25 gallons into the fermentor to account for some trub loss. I think this is great at helping new (extract) brewers get the volume they are looking for without getting discouraged. I've also had other kits for some reason come up short on the total volume when topping off to hit OG and not thinking I used all the priming sugar in the kit. They came out just fine, but I cool a try one bottle after 2 weeks and go from there and then put the rest of the bottles into the fridge when the carbonation level is where I like it.

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 02:02:27 pm »
It's been almost 4 weeks since I bottled my DIPA. I've tried a bottle every weeks since I bottled, and the taste hasn't gotten better.  It's very malty and no hop flavor or aroma. As I said in my previous post, the fermenter smelled great, very hoppy, it's taken these past 3 plus weeks to get that smell out of it.  However, none of these aromas or flavors ended up in the beer.  The recipe called for 4.5 oz of corn sugar and I'm beginning to think that was the problem.  This may have raised the starting gravity so high that the hops couldn't utilize properly and ended up stuck in the fermenter, and not my beer.  There's a weird aftertaste that I can't place. My teeth feel like they are being cleaned with every sip. Wondering if this is caused by fusel alcohol?

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 02:20:25 pm »
I haven't tried this yet but one he gets to the level he is happy at carb wise cant he just pop all the bottles and recap? Or will it continue to carbonate?

When did you add the sugar? The boil?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:22:17 pm by jimmykx250 »
Jimmykx250