Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boston South Bay  (Read 2755 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Boston South Bay
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:56:14 am »
Going to be in Boston, staying in the South Bay area (right near Boston Common).  Any breweries or bar recs?

Disappointed to see that the Trillium right near there does not have a taproom.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
Re: Boston South Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:41:36 am »
Do you mean Back Bay? That's near the Common, on the Public Garden side.
I don't go into the city that much anymore so I'm a bit out of touch but have a couple suggestions.
The Sunset Grille on Brighton Ave has a huge beer selection and is easy to get to via the Green Line.
Boston Beer Works, near Fenway is OK.
When are you going? If its warmer Boston is a great city to sit outside at a restaurant and people watch.
I also recommend Wally's and the Beehive for live jazz/blues. Also Addis Red Sea for Ethiopian food and Tej.

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 10:00:18 am »
The Trillium taproom is south of Boston in Canton, but you can buy cans at the Fort Point brewery.  Row34 is right next door and probably will have some Trillium on tap.

Harpoon is worth a visit...nice big beer hall.

Sunset Grille is great...we go there every year after Extreme Beerfest.  There's also a Boston Beerworks by the Garden on Canal Street.  Like Pete said, beer is ok but I wouldn't go out of my way.

Take an Uber up to Everett and check out Night Shift Brewing...one of the best in the area.  Right down the street (about 75 yards) is a new brewery called Bone Up Brewing that shows promise.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline blatz

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:41:51 am »
Awesome thanks guys.  Yeah I meant Back Bay.  There on Wednesday night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:18:54 am »
Are you only in for 1 night?  I've never been, but a lot of people talk about Bukoski's Tavern on Dalton Street (up near the Sheraton).

http://bukowskitavern.net/
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline blatz

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:28:52 am »
Are you only in for 1 night?  I've never been, but a lot of people talk about Bukoski's Tavern on Dalton Street (up near the Sheraton).

http://bukowskitavern.net/

yeah meetings during the day fly out the next morning. 

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:17:30 am »
If you only have one weeknight, I'd suggest shooting across the river and checking out Cambridge Brewing Company and/or Lord Hobo.  They're close enough to each other that you could do both, and they both have food.  Fine print:  this is Lord Hobo's beer bar, the brewery is up in Woburn, but of course they'll have their brew on draft.  Boom Sauce.  Love it.

Offline blatz

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 06:19:30 am »
If you only have one weeknight, I'd suggest shooting across the river and checking out Cambridge Brewing Company and/or Lord Hobo.  They're close enough to each other that you could do both, and they both have food.  Fine print:  this is Lord Hobo's beer bar, the brewery is up in Woburn, but of course they'll have their brew on draft.  Boom Sauce.  Love it.

So You think those are a better call than Night Shift and Bone up?  Thanks for the suggestions guys - en route to Logan now.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 07:42:33 am »

So You think those are a better call than Night Shift and Bone up?  Thanks for the suggestions guys - en route to Logan now.

I've never heard of Bone Up.  Night Shift puts out some really incredible beers, but it doesn't look like they have a kitchen (food trucks).  Cambridge is IMO a more interesting touristy walk than Everett, if you're in to that sort of thing.  Either way should be a good time, enjoy!!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 08:10:24 am »
I've never heard of Bone Up.  Night Shift puts out some really incredible beers, but it doesn't look like they have a kitchen (food trucks).  Cambridge is IMO a more interesting touristy walk than Everett, if you're in to that sort of thing.  Either way should be a good time, enjoy!!

Yeah...Everett's not really a walking area.  Bone Up just opened about 2-3 months ago. A husband and wife homebrewer team, but they've already started expanding.  Personally I would choose Night Shift over Cambridge (and definitely Lord Hobo-I'm one of those "can't Stand Boom Sauce" people), but if you only have the one night, CBC would probably be best.  Meadhall is also close to CBC, and they usually have some great beers on tap.

Everett can be a pain to get to, especially at rush hour.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 09:32:12 am »
+1 on Mead Hall too, that place is awesome.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 12:57:41 pm »
Never knew about mead hall. I'll have to check it out.
Paul, what did you end up doing?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline blatz

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 02:15:50 pm »
Never knew about mead hall. I'll have to check it out.
Paul, what did you end up doing?

went to Everett first and checked out Night Watch (Bone Up was closed on Wednesday).  was decent, their IPAs sucked - very thin, watery and overly hop astringent.  on the bright side, I really liked their tart saison, coffee porter and Berliner Weiss with raspberry and lime.   The saison was probably the most impressive, especially since I usually don't drink that style

then we headed to Meadhall for burgers and beers.  that was a great place - really enjoyed it - several good Maine beers.  I could have wasted a lot of time there, but had to be up early and I was already pretty buzzed so we headed back.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 06:36:52 am »
sounds like a successful night!  good work, glad you had fun.