Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Harvested Yeast - How to Pitch Only Part of the Harvest?  (Read 1599 times)

Offline SilverZero

• Cellarman
Harvested Yeast - How to Pitch Only Part of the Harvest?
« on: February 28, 2017, 01:28:44 pm »
I used some WY1764 on a small 1.25 gallon pale ale. Long story short: I saved the slurry (which also probably had a fair bit of trub in it) and got about 16oz of it into a jar. I let that settle for most of the day while I brewed another small batch (1.25 gallons). After that, I siphoned off the beer from the slurry in the jar and took 1/4 cup of the remaining slurry out to pitch. Since I dumped that inch of beer, there wasn't much more to settle out in the jar, but I want to keep the slurry for another day. So I added some prepared StarSan and swirled it up. It's now settled out with about 2 inches of liquid on top of the slurry.

My question is: If I want to pitch another portion of this slurry (not the whole amount) can I decant the liquid and take just a part of what's left, and then put another dose of StarSan on top of it again?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Harvested Yeast - How to Pitch Only Part of the Harvest?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 02:56:07 pm »
Yes, you can, but I think I'd add beer, not StarSan.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:43:50 pm »
Same way I harvest the slurry: Use a sanitized spoon and take out what you want, everything else remains in the jar (beer included).

Offline SilverZero

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:28:35 am »
Yes, you can, but I think I'd add beer, not StarSan.

Cool, that's what I was considering: taking a bit of the current fermenting batch when I bottle it and put that on the yeast instead.

Same way I harvest the slurry: Use a sanitized spoon and take out what you want, everything else remains in the jar (beer included).

Well now I wish I actually had used a jar and not a flip-top bottle. ;)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 11:32:33 am »

Well now I wish I actually had used a jar and not a flip-top bottle. ;)

Yeah, I guess flip-top bottles and spoons are pretty incompatible.  Not much help I guess.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 11:36:06 am »
I use 1/2 gal. plastic tubs with snap on lids.  Easy to use and no worries about exploding!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SilverZero

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 12:11:06 pm »
Well, in my defense, I didn't lock the flip-top lid down and I don't screw the lids down on my jars, at least not until they've chilled for a couple of days. :)