Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermonster Closed Transfer  (Read 7068 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Fermonster Closed Transfer
« on: March 01, 2017, 05:18:20 pm »
I've been racking my brain trying to come up with way to perform closed transfers with a Fermonster. I decided to avoid the versions with the spigot as I just don't trust them and I don't care that yours work great ;)

I came up with this super simple solution using two silicone grommets with 3/8" holes and a Kent lock barb for the gas in. Didn't need the o-ring for the test. Worked well. Threading the lid sucks with the cane hanging out.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:22:15 pm by Stevie »

The Beerery

Re: Fermonster Closed Transfer
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 05:28:36 pm »
Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 06:26:39 pm »
I'm also considering replacing the lids with solid lids and using a grommet instead of a stopper. The lid is pretty thick, but doesn't really grip the stopper that well.

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:24:56 am »

I don't care that yours work great

Way to open up your audience. Could be why only one person "cared" to comment. HAHAHA #DontBeADick

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 07:50:46 am »
So you remove an airlock to put the racking cane in place? Is it still technically a closed transfer then? I suppose you could pull the end of the cane up over the height of the beer/barm

I share your dislike for fermentor spigots, I've been trying to find a better solution as well. I'm still not low oxygen though, and more of my ales transfer when fermentation is still active, so it doesn't bother me.

The only "true" closed transfer method I know of uses sanitary fittings for the output. Basically the right way of doing a spigot. $$$, but someday...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

Fermonster Closed Transfer
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 07:51:01 am »

I don't care that yours work great

Way to open up your audience. Could be why only one person "cared" to comment. HAHAHA #DontBeADick
It was partially a joke and I don't care. I don't give a s*** if I got one reply, vs 10 replies telling me that the spigots are fine. #DontBeABaby

ETA - Hell I even included a winky face. So let me add
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:58:45 am by Stevie »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 07:57:59 am »
So you remove an airlock to put the racking cane in place? Is it still technically a closed transfer then? I suppose you could pull the end of the cane up over the height of the beer/barm

I share your dislike for fermentor spigots, I've been trying to find a better solution as well. I'm still not low oxygen though, and more of my ales transfer when fermentation is still active, so it doesn't bother me.

The only "true" closed transfer method I know of uses sanitary fittings for the output. Basically the right way of doing a spigot. $$$, but someday...
I remove and replace the whole lid. I considered your thought, but then I wouldn't be able to get the cap on the end of the cane. I guess that wouldn't be a big deal if I was careful, but I still didn't like that idea. I did see grommets that came paired with little stoppers. Those would likely work well if somebody wanted to use one lid for both fermentation and racking.

I guess you're right that it isn't truly closed to Bryan's specs, but it is closed in the sense that oxygen isn't replacing the head space (much) and I am able to push the beer out with gas.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 08:04:32 am »
FWIW, I never use that little cap on the end of my stainless racking cane. The way it was made made me question how clean I could get it, plus it's something I often simply would forget to use. You do have to be careful not to pull dregs without, but that's a risk even with the cap.

Best thing to do is mark the top with a (real) sharpie. Put it in you fermenter empty, push it all the way to the bottom, then mark of inch/half in/whatever increments from there down. Now you'll have an idea how close it is to the yeast/trub when you can't see the end.

(By "real" sharpie, I mean on of the industrial/king style ones. They seem to hold up to several cleaning cycles. You have to touch them up every so often still, but on the whole they put up with brewery cleaners better than the normal ones.)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 08:08:03 am »
You mean the sharpies with the metal bodies that Home Depot keeps behind bars with the rattle cans?

I'll consider giving this a whirl. I'm sure I can find a rubber stopper to fill the 3/8" grommet.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 08:15:52 am »
You mean the sharpies with the metal bodies that Home Depot keeps behind bars with the rattle cans?

I'll consider giving this a whirl. I'm sure I can find a rubber stopper to fill the 3/8" grommet.

Yes, those are the ones, though I bought mine off Amazon.

Sad thing is the old king sized sharpies are different than what they're selling as king size now. We have a few at work, I think they're oil based. I've yet to find anything that will remove them easily, and they last forever. I keep meaning to buy one of the current oil based sharpies to compare with them, but I never get around to it...

Offline SilverZero

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 11:03:23 am »
Threading the lid sucks with the cane hanging out.

Turn the bottle instead. :)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 11:19:17 am »

I'll talk to my doctor about giving me a third hand. One to hold the lid and two to spin the fermenter.

Offline SilverZero

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 11:38:43 am »

I'll talk to my doctor about giving me a third hand. One to hold the lid and two to spin the fermenter.

;D Alright, you got me there.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 01:01:42 pm »

I guess I could have one of those kids that people are always talking about. I hear they work for nothing.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 11:01:37 am »

I guess I could have one of those kids that people are always talking about. I hear they work for nothing.

Don't let anyone fool you, they just get in the way of brewing!!!  :D