Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temp Control newbie  (Read 5982 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Temp Control newbie
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 02:47:46 pm »
^^^^
The set-it-and-forget-it approach would have been nice.  When this fridge eventually dies, I'll sure have a better idea of what to replace it with.

I lucked out...mine was on sale, and it was the only place that would deliver to the middle of nowhere where I live!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 04:22:29 pm »
The fridge is my original, very first piece of temp control equipment, picked up from the scratch and dent clearance at an appliance store, too cheap to pass up.  By the time I added my lagering "cellar" and later a keezer I'd learned how cheap, light weight and efficient chest freezers are.  The only drawback is having to lift  in and out.  The one option I have no experience with is the mini fridge.  By the time my seemingly immortal fridge gives out, the forum will no doubt have made me an educated consumer. :)

(I suspect the difference between controlling ambient or liquid temp becomes less significant as the volume of airspace around the fermenter is reduced.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:18:57 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 01:54:55 pm »
Well, this just won't work for me.  Way too much strain on the fridge without the desired control of the ferment temperature.   Had to switch back to my regular system of probe controlling ambient while watching ferment temperature in the thermowell.   Tried and true.  Don't know why we get different results, maybe my using a full size fridge (really full size, no freezer compartment) is a big part of it.  Gave it a try.  Just as well this way, not sure if you can shoot and eat crows in Ohio.   ;)
My kegerator fridge now is a full size, no freezer. That’s why I am building a keezer. I find that the large fridge is not very consistent, too much temp sway. It has been doing fine with the probe out of water in the ambient but it kicks on and makes way more noise than the chest freezer. That thing is like asleep. Especially now since I’m fermenting a beer while I build out the keezer. Temp set to 71, the house is 75. Currently raising the temp 1 degree a day to finish out this IPA.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."