Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CAP recipe  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: CAP recipe
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 07:12:51 am »
I'm considering adding corn to a bitter some day, seems that more than a couple British brewers used it.

When I think corn in beer though, I think Yuengling Traditional. I can't think of a better commercial beer to showcase corn's flavor.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 10:41:09 am »
Is this a beer style that people actually like? I've never made one, but it just doesn't sound like an interesting beer to drink.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
They can be really good. I brew them about once a year. If you like a crisp refreshing Lager in the summertime, this is a good one to brew.

Agreed.  I like to brew one for summer parties.  They're also good for crowds that aren't necessarily into IPAs, etc.  If it's well done, it's a brew pretty much everyone can enjoy.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 12:46:22 pm »
I must be slow today - what's a CAP?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 12:53:22 pm »

Classic American Pilsner, aka, Pre-Prohibition Pilsner, aka, Pre Bud/Coors swill.
Jon H.

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 12:58:37 pm »

Classic American Pilsner, aka, Pre-Prohibition Pilsner, aka, Pre Bud/Coors swill.

Ah, thanks!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 03:06:02 pm »
Please read the link to a Zymurgy article I posted above. It has the background, recipe, and procedure to make a fairly authentic version.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 03:43:53 pm »
I don't fear 2o-25% corn. With 6 row it cuts the protein and lightens the grainy 6 row flavor. I haven't done one with 2 row yet, but 2 row has much more DP than it used to, so it should work just fine.

The Cluster hops at bittering add an old school flavor that makes me think of the sips of dad's and grandps's beers I had when a kid. That was back when the mainstream beers had some hops and flavor.

+1

I agree, I like corn over rice by a long shot.  Think corn bread vs. regular bread.  There's a sweetness and grainy flavor that is really clean and refreshing, particularly on a hot summer day.

I had my fair share of reservations about brewing with corn until I actually used it for the first time last summer. Now I'm looking for excuses to include it in recipes. The cornbread analogy is nice, although the sweetness and corn flavor is subtle and not overpowering at up to 20% or so of the grist. I really enjoy what it brings to a lighter-bodied beer.

I'm considering adding corn to a bitter some day, seems that more than a couple British brewers used it.

That sounds like a tasty idea. I might have to try that myself.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 08:16:24 pm »
Sterling and Crystal are a nice combo with clean malts.  I'm drinking a BoPils right now, hopped with all homegrown Sterlings. 

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 04:01:09 am »
Any thoughts? Really having a hard time deciding on what to brew next and have been throwing around the idea of a CAP for some time...

41% schill pilsner
36% american two row
23% flaked corn

21g Sterling 60 min
14g Sterling 15 min
14g Sterling 2 min
14g Crystal 2 min

Yeast?
Probably go with something I have on had which would be 34/70 or S-189. I assume neither of those would be preferred?

~33 IBU

Did you brew this? What was the yeast? I've been considering the S-189 in a Bock.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 09:25:13 am »
Any thoughts? Really having a hard time deciding on what to brew next and have been throwing around the idea of a CAP for some time...

41% schill pilsner
36% american two row
23% flaked corn

21g Sterling 60 min
14g Sterling 15 min
14g Sterling 2 min
14g Crystal 2 min

Yeast?
Probably go with something I have on had which would be 34/70 or S-189. I assume neither of those would be preferred?

~33 IBU

Did you brew this? What was the yeast? I've been considering the S-189 in a Bock.

I am brewing tomorrow and have gone back and forth between this and a malty brown lager. I think the brown is going to win out before the weather warms up. I will be using S-189 in that.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 03:15:44 pm »
I'm drinking a BoPils right now, hopped with all homegrown Sterlings.

I also brew a BoPils with homegrown sterlings.
The next pils I do is going to be an imperial pils with all homegrown sterlings.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women