Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider and Fruit in the secondary... gravity high?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline JASONCLICK

• 1st Kit
Cider and Fruit in the secondary... gravity high?
« on: March 02, 2017, 05:44:39 pm »
First off... I've been brewing beer for about 5 years but am brand new to ciders. This is my second cider and the first with fruit. Here it goes...

I fermented 2 gallons of store bought juice with WLP 775. The OG was 1.058. FG was 0.998.

I racked the above into secondary. Secondary I have 2 pounds of dried apricots that I re-hydrated and pasteurized in 3 quarts of unfermented apple juice. I assume 2 pounds of dried apricots is probably equal to 4 pounds of fresh fruit. I though the cider that I fermented would start up fermentation again in secondary but I just sampled it (still in secondary fermenter) and its very sweet. I put on my refractometer and it is at SG 1.055. Here are my questions....

• I've never made beer or cider on fruit... should it have fermented out or should I expect it to be very sweet?
  • Should I just wait longer (its been in secondary for a week) and see of the gravity goes down?
  • Should I add yeast to the secondary to see if it ferments more? Maybe all of the yeast dropped out of it n primary?

As a side note... I've got 2 more gallons of juice i've been fermenting. I can always use this to blend and bring down the sweetness.

Thanks for any help!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Cider and Fruit in the secondary... gravity high?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:13:21 pm »
Refractometer is not at all accurate in presence of alcohol.  It tends to read way higher than it really is.  Use a hydrometer.

Added fruit will take at least another month to ferment out.  Patience.

No need to add more yeast.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Cider and Fruit in the secondary... gravity high?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 10:32:45 am »
I am on my second cider as well; both have included fruit. I simply added the pureed fruit with the juice at the beginning then let them ferment together. I backsweeten with one can of concentrated juice.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale