Here are some notes from the seminar - they were tucked away in the car.
5 samples were tasted. There are 59 Craft Maltsters in the Association. They have 0.5% of the market combined. The 2 varieties that are grown in the highest quantity are Metcalf and Copeland, used by the big guys.
1. Empire Malt, Empire MI. Variety -Conlon. Grainy and grassy, thin body, astringent.
2. Valley Malt, MA Variety -Endeavor, 8.9% Protein. More Toast, more malt, more body than #1.
3. Bell's from their farm in Shepard MI, malted by Breiss. Variety-Conrad. Munich aroma, more toast in flavor, astringent.
4. Valley Malt MA. Variety - Spring Conlon. 13.7 % Protein. Nutty flavor, acidic too.
5. Crisp Marris Otter UK. Munich aroma, sweeter taste, nutty, medium full.
The samples were all different enough that one could discern it in aroma, taste even mouthfeel, and color.