Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cashmere  (Read 4504 times)

narvin

Re: Cashmere
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 12:02:02 pm »
What's that red dot?

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 10:15:46 pm »
Am I the only one who now has Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" playing in their head?  Sorry. I got nothing to add.

Shortly after reading this thread, "Celebration Day" came on the TV.  Not too shabby at all. 

Offline cbarrows

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 10:05:28 am »
Well  Just had my first beer using Cashmere last night was still a bit green and I'm not sure what I brings as the other hops (Chinook and Cascade)  seemed to overpower it to my tastes though even Green it was my wife's favorite beer I've made out of 50+ batches even 15 days form being grain. The one thing I did notice is the bitterness seemed smoother (I've done almost the same recipe before using Amarillo instead of Cashmere)
 and there seemed to be more citrus then other similar beers I've brewed. I'm tempted to try it as a FWH on a blonde or Cream ale once the weather gets nicer, and I'll try and remember to revisit this once the beer is less green.

Offline bhchrist

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 11:39:25 am »
I decided to swap out the California Common yeast and instead use the Vermont Ale/Heady Topper strain and brew a 100% Red X Malt Pale Ale. Bittering addition of Warrior and all the rest was Cashmere, with everything added at 5 minutes, flameout, 140F steep, and dry hop. Really liking the aroma and flavor profile so far. The malt profile of the Red X is present but I think compliments the Cashmere and "peachy" profile of the Conan yeast. I can convince myself that I detect some melon, but that is more likely due to selection bias of knowing the profile. The Red X may mask it as well. Will have to try it with a more malt neutral base grain.

I definitely pick up on the citrus side and it is more on the lemon lime end, especially lime, and it seems to work well with the yeast. I would be interested in trying it in a Saison. The problem now is finding any Cashmere available for sale.