Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How did you pick your forum name?  (Read 7104 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: How did you pick your forum name?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 10:14:17 am »
My alleged "friends" started calling me by the name about 45 years ago with derogatory intent. I was never able to escape the moniker so I usurped it, and eventually it was who I became. I've since learned to like it, and have no worry that the are other Visors running around with whom I could be confused.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 10:16:06 am »
I live in Boulder Junction, as easy as that. It also messes with people who think I live in another town in CO.

'Sconsin?  My family is in Conover.  I spent my teen years there at Northland Pines.

Yep, grew up in Conover. Went to school there also. Now I can almost hear the school bells from the brewery.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2017, 10:57:59 am »
I was born with it :)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2017, 11:05:42 am »
Mine was setup years ago (first used on the Brewing Network back in 2008), which depicts my love of stouts and the original trilogy of Star Wars. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:18 am »
I was thinking about forum names and thought I would start this thread.  It's a pretty common one on other forums.

Mine is obviously boring (just my first initial and last name).
There are lots of way more interesting ones here in this forum.
Tell us what significance yours has and how you came to pick it

But what about BDawg?
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2017, 11:18:54 am »
When I was in college I had a co-worker who called me "cheese and teeth". Cheese, because of my last name Kolbe (pronounced like colby cheese) and my big, toothy smile. Then, when I got an Internet account in the early 90's I had to come up with a username that was no more than 8 characters long. Thus , was born chezteth

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2017, 11:24:07 am »
Slowbrew - Head Brewer at the Slowly Losing IT (as in information technology) Brewery. 

I named my "brewery" and my forum name on Northern Brewer's forum on a particularly bay day in my career as a systems engineer.  After a couple of years it was too much trouble to change it anywhere and I'm still IT so I haven't completely lost it yet.  Still just slowly getting there.   8)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2017, 01:03:50 pm »
I live in Boulder Junction, as easy as that. It also messes with people who think I live in another town in CO.

'Sconsin?  My family is in Conover.  I spent my teen years there at Northland Pines.

Yep, grew up in Conover. Went to school there also. Now I can almost hear the school bells from the brewery.

Whoa!  I've been meaning to stop at Tribute, haven't yet!  One of these years!  Now I *really* have a reason to come visit!  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2017, 01:05:50 pm »
When I was in college I had a co-worker who called me "cheese and teeth". Cheese, because of my last name Kolbe (pronounced like colby cheese) and my big, toothy smile. Then, when I got an Internet account in the early 90's I had to come up with a username that was no more than 8 characters long. Thus , was born chezteth

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

...And my world just keeps getting smaller and smaller!  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2017, 01:36:28 pm »
Back in the mid to late 90's when my dad got his first PC, back on a 14.4k dial up modem he was helping me come up with a screen name for messenger AOL version 1. Yeah... that long ago. He threw out the name Weazletoe and it just kinda stuck with me ever since.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2017, 01:43:49 pm »

Whoa!  I've been meaning to stop at Tribute, haven't yet!  One of these years!  Now I *really* have a reason to come visit!  :)
Stop by, it is a fun time!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2017, 02:23:02 pm »
Many years ago, when I was in college, my friends and roommates were sitting around the living room smoking bong hits (it was 1980) on a weekday afternoon after classes.  By then, our sophomore year in college, everyone had acquired a nickname for some reason or other but me.  That became a topic of discussion, that I needed a nickname.  As I am a rather large human being, and the TV was on with Tennessee Tuxedo reruns, you can guess the rest.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2017, 02:26:46 pm »
Many years ago, when I was in college, my friends and roommates were sitting around the living room smoking bong hits (it was 1980) on a weekday afternoon after classes.  By then, our sophomore year in college, everyone had acquired a nickname for some reason or other but me.  That became a topic of discussion, that I needed a nickname.  As I am a rather large human being, and the TV was on with Tennessee Tuxedo reruns, you can guess the rest.

could have been worse...you could have been Phineas J. Whoopee...or would that have been better :)

AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2017, 02:34:53 pm »

could have been worse...you could have been Phineas J. Whoopee...or would that have been better :)

Nicknames just don't stick on some people.  I worked at a company for 2 years and the accounting manager tried a new one for me every couple of weeks.  None of them stuck.  The sales guys just stared calling me Nameless but even that died on the vine.   :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 07:20:34 pm »
Speaking of how nicknames come and go, when I was in Jr. high school, there was a guy who had really scraggly facial hair.  Really scraggly.  So, we promply nicknamed him "Fungus".  It stuck.  EVERYBODY called him Fungus, even the girls and the younger grade boys. It got to the point that kids didn't even know what his real name was.  Even kids in OTHER SCHOOLS didn't know his real name but if you asked them, they knew who Fungus was. His mother used to get pissed back when people would call and ask her "Is Fungus there?".

The thing was, he was a really great guy, really popular, and funny as hell.  He took the Fungus thing in stride. By the time he was in his Jr year, we pretty much relented and just called him Gus instead. And even though it's been years since I've seen him, I hear that's still his nickname to this day.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge