Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How did you pick your forum name?  (Read 7103 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: How did you pick your forum name?
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2017, 09:32:52 am »
Right around the time I started homebrewing and joined my first brewing forum in 2009 HBO ran a show called Eastbound and Down. In one episode the main character runs through a list of nicknames. One was the reverse apache master. I thought it was funny and borrowed it as a forum name and have used it ever since.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2017, 10:01:40 am »
It's my name....

Mine is equally as boring. For the same reason.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2017, 10:09:25 am »
Speaking of how nicknames come and go, when I was in Jr. high school, there was a guy who had really scraggly facial hair.  Really scraggly.  So, we promply nicknamed him "Fungus".  It stuck.  EVERYBODY called him Fungus, even the girls and the younger grade boys. It got to the point that kids didn't even know what his real name was.  Even kids in OTHER SCHOOLS didn't know his real name but if you asked them, they knew who Fungus was. His mother used to get pissed back when people would call and ask her "Is Fungus there?".

The thing was, he was a really great guy, really popular, and funny as hell.  He took the Fungus thing in stride. By the time he was in his Jr year, we pretty much relented and just called him Gus instead. And even though it's been years since I've seen him, I hear that's still his nickname to this day.

My original homebrew club used to call me Wimpy because of a pub crawl in 95. The 2 places we stopped for food (it was a very extended crawl from about 8a-8p) were both primarily seafood on the menu and I'm allergic. So I got a hamburger in both places. Name has stuck with those guys since, but nobody else uses it.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2017, 10:27:10 am »
Speaking of how nicknames come and go,

My nickname is Balls. My last name is French, Benoit. Pronounced Ben-waa. You do the math from there.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 05:20:58 pm »
Ahh, nicknames.  As mentioned earlier, everyone I hung around with in college my freshman and sophomore years had a nickname.  Some examples:

Spark.  In Chemistry 101, the professor was cover stoichiometry and was discussing ohow to balance chemical equations.  My dormitory roommate at the time raised his hand and asked, "Where do you write the spark?"  "the spark?" the prof asked.  "Yes, the spark that starts the chemical reaction."  So he became Spark. That became a generic nickname for anyone who asked a stupid question in class.  I remember a field geology class when we were stopped along the interstate to look at a roadcut, and Spark 8 picked up a "rock" and asked the prof what kind of rock it was.  The prof said, "that's a chunk of asphalt."

Biggus Dickus.  An easy one, a guy who was always bragging like Trump.

Blee.  This guy, in the same chemistry class, passed out and started making some loud noises. Someone yelled, "I think he's having an epileptic fit!"  He wasn't.

F**khead.  One of the guys lived in a town only 65 miles away from campus, so he went home on the weekends.  One Monday night in the dorm cafeteria, he was telling us stories of how much fun he and his homeboys had the last weekend.  They ran our of beer, so they soaked a rag with gas from their car and huffed  until they all passed out on the ground.  We all looked at each other until someone spoke and said, "Gee, you sound like a real f**khead."  The name took.  His girlfriend called him "the boy with the nasty name."

Remember, we were like 18 or 19 years old.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2017, 11:12:11 am »
I live in Parma, Ohio and I'm a guy = Parmaguy.  Backward, that's yugamrap.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2017, 12:13:04 pm »
I live in Parma, Ohio and I'm a guy = Parmaguy.  Backward, that's yugamrap.
Think I was on here for almost a year before I figured that one out. I was in Cleveland suburbs for almost 15 years and did not catch it right away, too much beer?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2017, 05:52:59 pm »
So I haven't checked into the forum for a while and the first thing I see is this thread.

When I was about six or seven years old I found out that some people actually spelled their name "Geoff" with a "G."  I was totally aghast at that and made it a point to say my name was "Jeffy wid a 'J'"
Bravely, as an adult, I have adopted that.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »
I use Titanium Brewing because I have a plate of titanium in my arm after a bad skateboard crash.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 05:02:40 pm by Titanium Brewing »
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2017, 09:55:26 pm »
My name is Morgan, and I did a lot of college radio back in the day as "Captain Morgan."  I like linguistics, and Spanish kind of came naturally to me.  Sometimes I even dream in Spanish.  Weird, because I'm 100% Norwegian.  Anyway, "El Capitan" it is.  Cheers, amigos.