Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brussels Sprouts & Bacon  (Read 2307 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Brussels Sprouts & Bacon
« on: February 15, 2017, 07:25:30 pm »
So my wife took a bag of fresh brussels sprouts and added salt and some pressed garlic and then topped with pieces of bacon and baked at 350F for 25 minutes. The house smelled divine and the dish was divine.

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
Re: Brussels Sprouts & Bacon
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:17:17 am »
My wife and I love that dish. Although I throw  pound of bacon in a big fry pan cook until half way done then dump most the grease off throw in the sprouts and cook covering the pan with tin foil. Like you said the house smells just unbeliveble.
Jimmykx250

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 05:23:15 am »
Oh yeah. I sautee the sprouts in olive oil, garlic, and balsamic vinegar, then top with bacon. Made many a brussel sprout hater change their tune.
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:24:05 am »
The beauty in this one was the only real prep was splitting the sprouts in half. The rest was completed on a sheet pan in the oven. Since we had covered the pan with foil it was as simple as throwing away the foil.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:49:47 am »
Looks delicious. Those flavors go great together.
I highly recommend for cooks that don't generally don't follow recipes but are always looking for inspiration to get a copy of The Flavor Bible. It lists compatible ingredients for pretty much every food there is. When I have something I want to cook with and don't have any ideas I look up the food and always get good ideas. Its also great for cocktails and brewing.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Stevie

Brussels Sprouts & Bacon
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 10:31:45 am »
Those two go together like PB&J. We've been making this Tyler Florence recipe a lot lately. Topped with a runny or poached egg. It's similar to a dish from a brunch spot in Malibu.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/bacon-and-brussels-sprout-hash-recipe

ETA - it works really well with ham. Had a bunch of Christmas ham and this was the top method of using the left overs.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:44:08 am »
We roast those bad boys all the time, but I've never done them with bacon.  I'll have to add that to the bag of tricks.  Garlic, salt, pepper, oil.  That's all they really need.

FWIW, I hated brussel sprouts when I was a kid.  I remember reading somewhere though that they have been selectively bred over the last several decades to be much tastier than they were in my youth.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 05:11:21 pm »
The beauty in this one was the only real prep was splitting the sprouts in half. The rest was completed on a sheet pan in the oven. Since we had covered the pan with foil it was as simple as throwing away the foil.

Yep, that's the best part - simplicity.  No need to dirty another pan pre-frying the bacon.
Joe