Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bulk Hops, now that NikoBrew is closed  (Read 9208 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Bulk Hops, now that NikoBrew is closed
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 02:36:27 pm »

I recently ordered from Freshops, HopsDirect, and Hop Heaven. I like all three for different reason but especially like Freshops because Dave went the extra mile helping me get reasonable shipping rates coupled with his 2 oz variety/12oz total minimum. I only brew every 3-4 weeks so don’t need pounds and pounds of hops laying around. I ordered 2 oz of 6 varieties that I received in 3 days cross country USPS. I can use them in my next few brews. That’s perfect for me.

And a free twist tie in every bag!  ;D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 03:10:10 pm »

I recently ordered from Freshops, HopsDirect, and Hop Heaven. I like all three for different reason but especially like Freshops because Dave went the extra mile helping me get reasonable shipping rates coupled with his 2 oz variety/12oz total minimum. I only brew every 3-4 weeks so don’t need pounds and pounds of hops laying around. I ordered 2 oz of 6 varieties that I received in 3 days cross country USPS. I can use them in my next few brews. That’s perfect for me.

LOL. I heard Tinseth say Dave ships in baggies. I received vacuum sealed bags but haven’t cut one open yet. I don’t see a twist tie but will be disappointed if I don’t get one. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 03:53:42 pm »

LOL. I heard Tinseth say Dave ships in baggies. I received vacuum sealed bags but haven’t cut one open yet. I don’t see a twist tie but will be disappointed if I don’t get one. LOL

Yeah, they're all vacuum sealed, but I've never had one without a twist tie that I can recall, though I vacuum seal again after opening.  Just another example of going that extra mile -- who else would think of that?

Photo from LHBS website:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:48:10 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 07:49:54 am »
I like Hop Heaven. There is an annual sale that drops prices for last year’s crop pretty good. I have been pleased with all the hops I have purchased from Hop Heaven.

PS. I probably have 2-3 years of hops in my freezer. But, they were on sale ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 08:16:57 am »

20 years ago, Dave did ship in baggies.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 08:18:01 am »
I like Hop Heaven. There is an annual sale that drops prices for last year’s crop pretty good. I have been pleased with all the hops I have purchased from Hop Heaven.

PS. I probably have 2-3 years of hops in my freezer. But, they were on sale ;)

I think they probably have the best quality hops I've found in the retail market.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2019, 09:43:06 am »

Yeah, they're all vacuum sealed, but I've never had one without a twist tie that I can recall, though I vacuum seal again after opening.  Just another example of going that extra mile -- who else would think of that?

Photo from LHBS website:

I too order all of my Amarillo Hops from Dave.  Great quality and fast shipping.  I also vacuum reseal mine after opening of if any of you don't get the free twist tie, let me know and I'll send you one!  ;D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 01:41:48 pm »
Is Hop Heaven still in business? This fall I didn't get my annual email and could not find them via a websearch. By the time I ordered from Hops Direct some of my favorites were sold out. I never found fresher hops than what Ted shipped.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline BrewBama

Bulk Hops, now that NikoBrew is closed
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 01:52:58 pm »
I recently bought from Ted. He has a great selection and ships fast at a reasonable rate.

https://www.ebay.com/str/Hop+Heaven+Inc/

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 01:57:45 pm »
That link didn't work for me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 02:04:50 pm »
That link didn't work for me.

Try email.  PM me if you don't have the addy

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 02:12:30 pm »
I have 2. Lagermanted and tednjodie, which one is correct?

Offline Robert

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2019, 02:15:41 pm »
I looked on his Ebay store and everything listed was "fresh" 2016 and 2017 crop.  Is there a new site somewhere?  Or is that what he has?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2019, 02:28:33 pm »
That's what I found this fall and assumed he no longer sells/ships.

Offline tommymorris

Bulk Hops, now that NikoBrew is closed
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 03:22:58 pm »
Never mind! That didn’t work.

Try searching for “Fresh hops!”. The seller name is “hausotterted”.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:28:59 pm by tommymorris »