Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: GRAINFATHER VS OTHER EQUIPMENT QUESTION  (Read 2843 times)

Offline THEQMAN

• 1st Kit
  • Mark McCurdy
GRAINFATHER VS OTHER EQUIPMENT QUESTION
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:48:17 pm »
If you remove the "con" that the Grainfather is not scalable compared to some other systems, when it comes to "pure' quality of the wort being put into the fermenter, is the Grainfather at par with other systems? if not, why not? thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: GRAINFATHER VS OTHER EQUIPMENT QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:53:01 am »
Sure...can't think why it wouldn't be.  I have a Grainfather, a Zymatic, a Pico, and 3 cooler systems.  All make great beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 02:40:42 am »
I've only done BIAB prior to buying my GF, but I'm very happy with the results. 
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 05:23:21 am »
Guys that I know who have the Grainfather love it.  The only issue I have heard is the long-ish time it takes to heat to boil and the lower boil rate (more of a simmer).  Wrapping the device with an insulating jacket solves the issue I am told.  Wort quality is not an issue - I know one guy won medals brewing beers with the GF.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:03:13 am »
Guys that I know who have the Grainfather love it.  The only issue I have heard is the long-ish time it takes to heat to boil and the lower boil rate (more of a simmer).  Wrapping the device with an insulating jacket solves the issue I am told.  Wort quality is not an issue - I know one guy won medals brewing beers with the GF.

Mine is a UK model, so is much quicker to get to temp/boil, if I was in the US, I'd definitely look at getting a heat stick to fix that.
Dom

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 03:48:01 pm »
I've had it for a couple years and had very little go wrong.  I will say that doing big beers on this kit is difficult without adding DME.  5-7% beers are fine 8-10% are challenging for me but I rarely brew that big.
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 04:53:28 am »
I've had it for a couple years and had very little go wrong.  I will say that doing big beers on this kit is difficult without adding DME.  5-7% beers are fine 8-10% are challenging for me but I rarely brew that big.

When I brew big beers, I tend to brew smaller batches (15L), and have had no issues fitting it in the GF.
Dom

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 05:28:13 am »
Yes it's not up scaleable but it is very good doing smaller batches with the added micro pipework.  I like to use it when I'm brewing by myself but I don't like take it on the road and I like my propane BIAB setup for outside with friends.  The other reason I like GF is with the new controller I can tightly control temp and do a step mash with ease that I would have trouble doing in a BIAB rig.

Brew what you like & brew often.