Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Partigyle  (Read 1672 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
First Partigyle
« on: May 08, 2017, 06:29:29 pm »
I just brewed a Belgian Dark strong.  Since the beer gets its color from the Candi Syrup, I decided I'd do a no-sparge for the beer, then sparge 2 gallons so I can can a batch of starter wort.  It turned out perfectly!  I got 8 quarts of 1.042 wort on that sparge.  I'm a happy camper.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: First Partigyle
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:54:10 am »
Most excellent - those big beers really do leave a lot for the second runnings... a club member in my club won an award with a second runnings' English Mild from a larger English Brown ale mash.  Be sure to pressure can that wort though - Denny recently mentioned in a thread the dangers of canned starter worts that aren't fully processed.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 12:52:45 pm »
Most excellent - those big beers really do leave a lot for the second runnings... a club member in my club won an award with a second runnings' English Mild from a larger English Brown ale mash.  Be sure to pressure can that wort though - Denny recently mentioned in a thread the dangers of canned starter worts that aren't fully processed.

The few times I'm not too lazy to save wort I've frozen it, than boiled before using it in a starer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 03:04:07 pm »

Yep!  Pressure canned it last night.  It made for a long brew day, but worth it
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton