Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vessi  (Read 20636 times)

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
Vessi
« on: March 06, 2017, 07:49:53 am »
Hey Vessi owners!

Please join our own forum where we can share and exchange ideas related to brewing with Vessi!

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
Re: Vessi
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:59:22 am »
First thing I notice, it's not easy to post pics here, too bad.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:20:39 am »
Posting photos isn't too tough. It's a two step process as the photo needs to be hoasted someplace first There is a sticky thread in General.

It might be helpful to post a link to your forum.

How many Vessi owners are there?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:14:08 am »
The easiest way to post a picture is to get the tapatalk app and take a picture with your device. Its as easy as sharing a photo via text or email that way.
The hosting thing is a pia, relatively speaking.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 12:07:32 pm »
I'm all in! Thanks Charles for your efforts!

Gary
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:12:31 pm by blenderbender »

Offline valestij

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 05:53:32 pm »
So I asked this in the IGG page, but any advise on when should you cold crash? An should let the beer warm back up to age?

I let a batch ferment for 7 days and it hit the correct F.G. Then I removed sediment for a couple days in a row using the Sediment Removal System.  After a few days I lower the temp for a week and removed more sediment that fell out during the cold crash

Since I carbonated under pressure, it was ready to drink and I sampled a few.  They were pretty good, but still a little “green”.  Since the recipe says to leave in secondary for 3 weeks;  is it okay to age it cold, or should I warm it back up to let it age?

Sorry for the question, but cold crashing is new to me.  Normally I just transfer and let age in the secondary for awhile depending on the recipe before kegging and/or bottling.

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 06:50:17 pm »
Thank you for setting this up! Fellow Vessi owner here! Hows everyone enjoying theres?

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 07:05:13 pm »
So I asked this in the IGG page, but any advise on when should you cold crash? An should let the beer warm back up to age?

Since the recipe says to leave in secondary for 3 weeks;  is it okay to age it cold, or should I warm it back up to let it age?

Sorry for the question, but cold crashing is new to me.  Normally I just transfer and let age in the secondary for awhile depending on the recipe before kegging and/or bottling.

Good question.... I'll be waiting on that answer also.

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 07:13:00 pm »

I let a batch ferment for 7 days and it hit the correct F.G. Then I removed sediment for a couple days in a row using the Sediment Removal System.  After a few days I lower the temp for a week and removed more sediment that fell out during the cold crash

Since I carbonated under pressure, it was ready to drink and I sampled a few.  They were pretty good, but still a little “green”.  Since the recipe says to leave in secondary for 3 weeks;  is it okay to age it cold, or should I warm it back up to let it age?

So with my coffee stout that has just finished up it was to spend two weeks in primary and then x amount of time bottle conditioning. After I achieved my FG I cold crashed it, which is AMAZING, and it has since stayed at the serving temperature. I have noticed changes in the beer since it was first crashed and up till now. Changes for the better! Now I am no expert but I would say that in my own experience with this brew that it is still aging and maturing at the colder temperature.

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 08:18:43 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 04:00:01 am »
@Patrick & Charles.... Patrick, how long did it take you to reach your desired 'cold crash' temp? I'm wondering how that compares to Charles who was wondering if it wasn't taking too long to get down to 40 deg.... Gary

Offline valestij

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 06:13:41 am »
@Patrick & Charles.... Patrick, how long did it take you to reach your desired 'cold crash' temp? I'm wondering how that compares to Charles who was wondering if it wasn't taking too long to get down to 40 deg.... Gary

I didn't pay attention too close, but it probably took 24 hours to go from 68 down to 37 degrees.

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
Vessi
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 07:45:26 am »
I'd say about 24 hours. It is a very slow process by design, I assume. Why? No clue. You'll hear the compressor come on, the temperature will drop a few degrees, and then it will shut off and stay off for what seems like an eternity. It's like watching water boil so just walk away and it'll do its thing. HOWEVER, I did figure out a trick to force shorter cycles between the compressor turning on and off. Once the unit is showing that it has dropped a few degrees and the compressor has shut off you can turn the entire off, let it sit for a minute, and then turn it back on. The set temperature will remain at what you set it and the compressor will kick back on to drop it a few more degrees. Repeat that process and you can skip the cycles. Although this process probably shouldn't be done since it's not by design. 

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 07:48:31 am »
It's nice having this forum set up! Now for more owners to join. There's at least a hundred of us out there.

Offline aaronweiser

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 11:14:53 am »
Hi guys - thanks for setting up this thread! I'm just crashing my first batch now so I'm very excited to hear the progress of others.

In reference to the aging question, my goal is to keg each batch after crashing/fining and let it age in cold storage until it's ready. If you didn't have kegging equipment, I would predict a 7-21 day maturation phase would improve the flavor overall, at serving temps would be fine or in the 40's.

I do have a question for anyone who was fermenting under pressure, did you have any issues with your SRS when you dropped sediment? I reduced my pressure to 5-8 psi and when I ran the first couple of purges, the pressure gauge shot way back up and my SRS appeared to be leaking around the sightglass. Startled me to say the least. No leaks and no issues pressurizing it all the way up to 1.5 bar during fermentation, only when I went to drop the yeast.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:25:16 am by aaronweiser »