Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vessi  (Read 20597 times)

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
Re: Vessi
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2017, 06:38:45 am »
@Patrick & Charles.... Patrick, how long did it take you to reach your desired 'cold crash' temp? I'm wondering how that compares to Charles who was wondering if it wasn't taking too long to get down to 40 deg.... Gary
I'd say about 24 hours. It is a very slow process by design, I assume. Why? No clue. You'll hear the compressor come on, the temperature will drop a few degrees, and then it will shut off and stay off for what seems like an eternity. It's like watching water boil so just walk away and it'll do its thing. HOWEVER, I did figure out a trick to force shorter cycles between the compressor turning on and off. Once the unit is showing that it has dropped a few degrees and the compressor has shut off you can turn the entire off, let it sit for a minute, and then turn it back on. The set temperature will remain at what you set it and the compressor will kick back on to drop it a few more degrees. Repeat that process and you can skip the cycles. Although this process probably shouldn't be done since it's not by design. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday I tried that same idea Patrick except after I shut vessi off, I forgot to turn it back on so it sat off for 45 minutes. When I turned it back on it had gone from 41 degrees to 47 degrees, which I was surprised about. That kind of tells me that vessi isn't to well insulated. My house was 70 degrees so its not to warm in here, like it will be in the summer. The device slowly cycled all night and is down to just 42 degrees now. It's never been lower than 41 degrees as well. I'll contact Whirlpool and see what they think.
Yeah just keep in touch with askbob@getvessi.com to figure out if it's indeed not right and will be exchanged.

Just as an update to my temperature control issue..all day Friday I messed with the temp. I'd let the unit rise to above 40, then turn it down to 35...and it worked like a champ. I raised and lowered the temp every few hours and the unit followed the set point like a lost puppy! So, not sure if this unit is bad or was just "breaking" in, lol.  I'll be sure to keep an eye on it and I think the next batch will determine if the unit is bad or not. It's holding steady at 35 degrees now and acts perfectly normal.

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2017, 07:13:48 am »
Looks nice a good color and clear. How often did you have to remove the sediment? Did you do extract or all grain?
Thanks! When I move the wort from the kettle to Vessi, I use a stainless steel strainer to trap a lot of the trub. After fermentation I used the SRS a couple times a day for 4 days or so. I just rely on the site glass and purge until that comes back clean.
I've been brewing for around 1.5 years but on my third batch of beer, I went directly to all grain. I buy the grain in bulk and mill it at home with a corona mill. I went right to kegging as well, versus bottling not long after I went to all grain.
My next goal is to have a dedicated area for brewing versus using my kitchen...hoping to build a pole barn this spring for that.
I have a few friends that wanted to get into all grain so I made a youtube video about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndcZLR-x6xM&t=2340s
Very cool! Some day that's the goal, until now kits it is. 8^)

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2017, 07:18:04 am »
Has anyone else had an issue with using the S style airlock expelling all of its water quickly? My two beers both had some seriously active fermentation so I ended up using my old three pics bubbler and even that had trouble. Never ran into this until I started using the vessi. Not a big problem by any means just a an observation.

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2017, 07:27:57 am »
Has anyone else had an issue with using the S style airlock expelling all of its water quickly? My two beers both had some seriously active fermentation so I ended up using my old three pics bubbler and even that had trouble. Never ran into this until I started using the vessi. Not a big problem by any means just a an observation.
yep.... same here.... I had to keep refilling the S type.... actually the first time I've ever used one of these. PITA and messy so likely will return to the 3 piece next brew.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2017, 07:52:36 am »
yep.... same here.... I had to keep refilling the S type.... actually the first time I've ever used one of these. PITA and messy so likely will return to the 3 piece next brew.
Yup, I always start with the 3 piece type then when it calms down I switch to the s style.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Offline valestij

• 1st Kit
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2017, 07:53:35 am »

I never used the S Type before, but figured I'd try it.  Went to the trusty 3 piece after about 1 min trying to get the sanitizer level right.  Had zero issues with that.  :)

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2017, 10:57:46 am »
Do you guys have water that ends up collecting in the bottom black tray when your're in pouring mode? It looks like clean clear water so I'm assuming its condensation from the refrigeration system.

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2017, 11:21:03 am »
Do you guys have water that ends up collecting in the bottom black tray when your're in pouring mode? It looks like clean clear water so I'm assuming its condensation from the refrigeration system.

I haven't been in dispensing mode yet outside of drawing samples for gravity readings, but I haven't seen anything like that.

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2017, 12:03:56 pm »
Yes I've got the same condensation that collects.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2017, 02:06:41 pm »
Yes I've got the same condensation that collects.

Ok, glad to hear that!

Offline valestij

• 1st Kit
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2017, 04:16:55 pm »
I haven't seen any condensation, but my temp is at 40 right now.  What are you serving at?

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2017, 05:12:46 pm »
I haven't seen any condensation, but my temp is at 40 right now.  What are you serving at?
I have mine cranked to 35 degrees. It still doesn't server at that temp though. They say that after the first few glasses the beer gets colder. The problem is that I'm the only beer drinker in my house so if I don't keep it cranked, its a bit warmer than I like. I just poured my first glass today and it measures 47 degrees with a good digital thermometer. I know I lose a few degrees to the glass though, so its probably coming out at 45. Thats not a bad temperature but colder would be better.

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2017, 05:41:22 pm »
I have mine cranked to 35 degrees. It still doesn't server at that temp though. They say that after the first few glasses the beer gets colder. The problem is that I'm the only beer drinker in my house so if I don't keep it cranked, its a bit warmer than I like. I just poured my first glass today and it measures 47 degrees with a good digital thermometer. I know I lose a few degrees to the glass though, so its probably coming out at 45. Thats not a bad temperature but colder would be better.
Wasn't it just the other day that you hit 35? I forget where the unit reads the temp from so maybe it just needs some time to ensure that all of the contents are at a uniform temperature. I haven't thought to check mine for what it actually is versus what the vessi says it is. I may do that tonight since mine has been at 40 for the last week. Also, I've noticed that the SRS sweat much more at 35 compared to 40. So with condensation collecting mileage may vary of course.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2017, 07:35:27 am »
Wasn't it just the other day that you hit 35? I forget where the unit reads the temp from so maybe it just needs some time to ensure that all of the contents are at a uniform temperature. I haven't thought to check mine for what it actually is versus what the vessi says it is. I may do that tonight since mine has been at 40 for the last week. Also, I've noticed that the SRS sweat much more at 35 compared to 40. So with condensation collecting mileage may vary of course.

Yup, Vessi has been good at reaching temp now..I bumped it back up to 39 degrees.
For my next test I'll pour out enough to fill a growler and then do a temp reading in the following glass. Hopefully that pour is near the temp of the set point and I suspect it will be.

Offline √ brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2017, 09:21:06 am »
Finally got a Email about my Vessi delivery process. The SRS should come in two days from now! I have a question about the initial cleaning and sanitizing of the SRS. According to the manual it should it be fully taken apart, remove the grease off the o-ring, re greased and reassembled. Is this really necessary? Can you just do a sanitized soaking without taking it apart for the first initial brew?