Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Kits  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
Brew Kits
« on: March 23, 2017, 04:38:19 pm »
I've got an interview with a reporter interested in discussing homebrew ingredient kits.  I must admit that I don't think I've brewed with an ingredient kit since my very first brew back in 1993.  Does anyone have a favorite kit manufacturer (either wholesale or an individual shops own kits)?  What do you like about the kits?
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Brew Kits
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 04:49:09 pm »
I like what Northern Brewer offers.  Great recipes, fresh, and quality ingredients.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 05:09:25 pm »
I used clone kits as a barometer when I converted to all grain. The goal was see how close I could get to the commercial version to try an evaluate how I was doing as a brewer. Once I had a couple batches that I deemed close enough to the originals, I delved into recipe creation and really haven't looked back.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:09:37 am »
For some reason, I'm partial to the Denny and Drew kits from Brewcraft.

https://shop.brewcraftusa.com/en/beer/recipe-kits/signature-series-recipe-packs
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:13:06 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 10:34:12 am »
When I started brewing I used kits. First ones were the True Brew brand, not sure if they are still around.
Then I moved onto kits from Morebeer.
I found the kits from Morebeer to be fresh and well designed.
For me, the kits allowed me to get the process under control without thinking about ingredients.
But once I felt comfortable with the process, I moved to making my own receipes.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 03:09:03 pm »
When I first started brewing a couple of years ago, I got northern brewer, morebeer, and midwest kits. The dated ingredients all varied.  My favorites were Austin Homebrew supply, they mill all the grain to order and nothing is sitting on shelves waiting to be ordered.  But that was a couple of years ago and dont know if things have changed

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 08:17:03 am »
I agree with those that recommend Northern Brewer.  I started and have stuck with this kit set-up.  I converted over to BIAB easily, and the glass fermenter: Little Big Mouth Bubbler is super easy to clean.  The ingredients are great and the beers in their kits come out really good.

All Inclusive - Go Pro 1 Gallon Small Batch Beer Brewing Starter Kit Equipment Set with Chinook IPA Beer Recipe Kit

http://astore.amazon.com/havencrestmic-20/detail/B0157DW0X4

Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal