Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

How many total ounces of hops do you use on average when brewing a 5 gallon batch of American IPA?

5 ounces
2 (1.9%)
6 ounces
10 (9.6%)
7 ounces
10 (9.6%)
8 ounces
29 (27.9%)
9 ounces
13 (12.5%)
10 ounces
14 (13.5%)
11 ounces
2 (1.9%)
12 ounces
7 (6.7%)
13 or more ounces
17 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: How many ounces of hops in your American IPA?  (Read 27460 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How many ounces of hops in your American IPA?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 02:49:34 pm »
And at this point the possibility of an infection from a dirty plate chiller is probably more than from airborne sources.

Regardless I appreciate the input.

Steve, I'd say that's a fair assessment.  It's one of the reasons that I gave up a plate chiller after a few uses.  Another is the maintenance it required.  The Hydra I use is pretty much as fast as a plate or CFC.  AAMOF, a friend just tried a Hydra and ended up selling his Blichmann plate chiller because the Hydra was at least as fast and much easier.  I don't know why you're worried about infection from the air.  I'd be more concerned about infection from the hops you're putting in at low temp, and I'm not worried about that!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 03:38:48 pm »
Thanks, Sean. I know it sounds like a crazy amount but I'll say in my defense that, if you look at Kelsey McNair's recipe (maybe from his NHC presentation?) , his hop schedule is on a par with mine. And he's done ok with his IPAs.  Or actually the Le Cumbre  recipes posted in Zymurgy - IIRC theirs used more. It's funny, I get one of those out of my system and it's on to kolsch and lagers for awhile.  ;D

I've been looking at some pseudo-canonical recipes and I'm just having a terminology hangup - I brew ~8% beers with around 4 lb/bbl pretty frequently but I tend to think of them as IIPAs. My "IPAs" that I almost always have on tap run around 6.2-6.5% and 8 oz hops per 5 gal. I go to La Cumbre every chance I get, but I don't think I've ever had two Elevated IPAs.

I just read the Kelsey McNair presentation and since I recently stocked up on hops, I think I'll try to slip something in that vein but with your hop schedule into the rotation. If my math checks out, his recipe is just over 10 oz per 5 gal, and other than the malt bill being lighter (no Munich) actually looks a lot like my IIPAs. I maintain that my low boil temperature means I get more flavor and aroma out of my hops though. ;)

Cool, been a while since I looked at his presentation. I thought I read a reference somewhere to one where he used more. The Project Dank from Le Cumbre recipe uses 18 oz after checking. Regardless, balancing the hops somewhat is the step after.  :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:43:46 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 06:02:08 pm »
I'd say 8 ounces on average. I tend to favor lower AA varieties, it's just my preference. I've yet to notice any astringency issues cause by too much hop matter.

Max I've used? 16 oz. In a pils.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline jeffjm

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 06:56:44 pm »
I start my AIPA off at 1.070, and target 70 IBUs (calculated, Tinseth). I want half my IBUs from a 60-minute addition, and the rest from 15 minutes onward. With high-alpha Warrior as the bittering addition, that means I've usually got 6-7 ounces of late additions, plus another 3-4 ounces of dry hops.

I think Mike McDole might do something similar, but my memory has been known to be faulty.
I set out running but I take my time.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 07:37:04 pm »
My standard IPA is modeled to somewhat mimic Sam's electric vibrating football field continuous hop additions, at least in the late additions.

I usually use a blend of hops added every 5 minutes starting at 20 through flameout.  Then, I add enough hops to bitter to a 1.1 BU:GU, and then dry hop with about 2 more oz after primary slows down.

I'll change up the varieties of the hops, but its always that basic formula.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 08:08:01 pm »
I rarely brew the same IPA twice, but my best uses 10.5 ounces in a 90-minute hot whirlpool (starting right at flameout), with 6.5 ounces of dry hops. I brew 2.5 gallon batches, so double that for a 5 gallon batch (that would be 21 oz in the whirlpool and 13 oz dry hops).

That said, there is a diminishing return on hops, and you also run the risk of harsh grassiness with too much hop material. I've been playing with different temperature steeps, shorter steeps, no dry hops. I don't think you need 5+ ounces per gallon to nail an amazing IPA, but it certainly works.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 08:10:37 pm »
I rarely brew the same IPA twice, but my best uses 10.5 ounces in a 90-minute hot whirlpool (starting right at flameout), with 6.5 ounces of dry hops. I brew 2.5 gallon batches, so double that for a 5 gallon batch (that would be 21 oz in the whirlpool and 13 oz dry hops).

That said, there is a diminishing return on hops, and you also run the risk of harsh grassiness with too much hop material. I've been playing with different temperature steeps, shorter steeps, no dry hops. I don't think you need 5+ ounces per gallon to nail an amazing IPA, but it certainly works.
For you the question should be, "how many ounces of beer in your pound of hops?"

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 09:22:21 pm »

Wow.  My 12 ounces doesn't sound like too much anymore.  I am surprised that 20% use 13 or more ounces.  I would love to have a side-by-side with these IPAs!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 10:23:36 pm »

For you the question should be, "how many ounces of beer in your pound of hops?"
Depending on how much whole and pellet hops I use, I only net about 1.8 gallons vs my usual 2.5 when I brew this recipe. The rest is the green devil's share...
Eric B.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 06:02:21 am »
14oz on average for me.  I think 10oz is the least amount I would use.  I have used 24oz before but I think it is not worthwhile.  The effect is not linear.  With regard to hop astringency (polyphenols) I find polyclar on the hot side particularly effective at reducing this but a low temp hop stand can also mitigate since polyphenols are extracted above 185F.  That said, I much prefer the hot hop stand (30m) and use polyclar 10m to KO after the stand.  Large hop bills in IPA is pretty old news.  I think the use of oxygen scavengers is the new frontier and have been using ascorbic acid to good effect but there are plenty of options like using SMB, full sani keg purges, closed transfers, and/or spunding.  All this being said, the single largest improvement I made to my IPAs, is simply dry hopping onto bright beer off the yeast.  As was also mentioned, I scale up to 6G to yield 5G in the keg for IPA.  Green devil's share!  LOL  ;D
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 06:03:30 am »
The most that I've used in a 5.5 gallon batch is 18.5 oz. This was also before I practiced water chemistry and would add extra hops to bitter with. But I'd say I average 12 to 16 oz per 5 gallons now. I brew 11 gallon batches now.

Here is my last hop schedule:

FWH = 1 oz Southern Cross and 1 oz Columbus
60 Minute = 1 oz Southern Cross and 1 oz Columbus
5 Minute = 2 oz Cascade, 1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Centennial, and 1 oz Equinox
175 degree whirlpool = 4 oz Cascade, 3 oz Amarillo, 3 oz Centennial, and 2 oz Equinox
Dry Hop = 2 oz Cascade, 4 oz Amarillo, 4 oz Centennial, and 2 oz Equinox

33 total ounces which is a few ounces more than normal, but it was also considered a hop clean out IPA before the new crop came in. I don't typically use Southern Cross, but I had a couple ounces that Yakima Valley had tossed into an order. I use Columbus 80% of the time for bittering an IPA. Chinook would be the other 20%. I'm also not opposed to using my flavor hops at the FWH addition either.
Frank

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 06:56:14 am »
Just to add, the IPA I posted above measured 98 IBU for the batch I sent to the lab. There were no boil additions at all. Needless to say, I don't bother with 60 minute additions much any more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 12:15:22 pm »
I am in the 7-10oz.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 06:09:59 am »
8ish total:
2@FWH (approx, I'm a 70 IBU guy)
2@flameout
2@170 degree steep
2@dry hop in the keg

Beyond that I start to get sticker shock at the register of my LHBS

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 07:41:53 am »
I usually do 14 to 17 oz.