Poll

How many total ounces of hops do you use on average when brewing a 5 gallon batch of American IPA?

5 ounces
2 (2%)
6 ounces
9 (9.1%)
7 ounces
10 (10.1%)
8 ounces
26 (26.3%)
9 ounces
13 (13.1%)
10 ounces
13 (13.1%)
11 ounces
2 (2%)
12 ounces
7 (7.1%)
13 or more ounces
17 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: How many ounces of hops in your American IPA?  (Read 14333 times)

Offline heavydeadlifts01

• 1st Kit
Re: How many ounces of hops in your American IPA?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »
9 total for me today, 2 oz magnum at 60, 1oz mosaic at 20, 2oz mosaic at 10, 2oz mosaic at flameout, 2oz mosaic Dryhop at high krausen

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 06:50:55 PM »
Can I vote twice? Depending on the AA% and what I'm trying to achieve the amount of hops I use can vary quite a bit.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
Keeping in mind that Bell's is only about 55 IBU and is considered one of the best, I brewed an IPA with the Bell's grain bill with one addition at 60, 2 ounces at 5, and 2 ounces dry hopped. It was delicious.  I'm using 9 ozs. total in an IPA currently in the fermenter and that's only because I got some free hops just before brew day.  I can't imagine feeling the need to go above that unless I'm making a double which I've only done once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »
I'm about to put 5 oz of hops into a 3 gallon batch of my CDA.  1 oz for bittering, 2 oz at about 10 minutes and then 2 oz for dry hop.  Scaled to 5 gallons that's 8.333 oz.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline bhchrist

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 07:25:53 PM »
Enough bittering hops to get to 60-70 IBUs
4 oz @ flameout
4 oz DH

Pretty much this, though I will often add a 5 minute addition and split the flameout between flameout and a whirlpool/steep.

Offline chumley

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 08:27:51 PM »
I try to brew mainly with whole hops, as pellets tend to clog up my sure screen.  As such, If I used more than a half pound of hops, I would be concerned about how much wort is absorbed by the hops.

Last week I brewed a 10 gallon batch of Belgian blond with 8.5 ounces of hops, all leaf.  I stopped the boil with 11 gallons of wort in the kettle, but only managed to collect 9 gallons into my two fermentors.  I left the kettle to clean the next day.  When I went to clean it, it felt somewhat heavy....so I opened the drain valce, and collected 1.5 gallons more wort!  Evidently that had drained from the pile of spent hops sitting on top of my false bottom overnight.  I re-heated that wort, chilled it, and topped off my fermentors.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
    • Brewing After Law School
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »
I made the move to CO2 extract for bittering, at least for this year (I bought a can of HopShot and filled so many syringes). So an AIPA will have 5-10 mL extract at 60-30 min, 1-2 oz at 10-5 mins, 3-4 oz whirlpool, and 2-3 oz dry per 5 gallons. I have had issues with filtering, but my hop spider had issues with extraction, so I now use a false bottom and a whirlpool, chill with an immersion chiller (sans pump), then squeeze and remove most of the hops when I get to the end of the kettle.

Offline traildogbrewing (CA)

• 1st Kit
  • Trail Dog Brewing
    • My brewery in planning
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 09:34:54 PM »
Depends on alpha acid %age for that year's harvest which varies greatly.
Brewing since 2012
Upgraded to all-grain in 2016
Member of Marin Society of Homebrewers
Studying to take BJCP exam

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 09:37:10 PM »
Depends on the hop varieties (alpha acid), but on average about 8oz per 5 gal. batch give or take.
Ron Price

Offline apopnj01

• 1st Kit
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 09:47:26 PM »
Typically, how many total ounces of hops do you use on average when brewing a 5 gallon batch of American IPA?  So for bittering, late additions, and dry-hopping.

I usually use 10 ounces but i have an ipa that uses about 17 ounces :-)

Offline jjhull11

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 10:22:24 PM »
I use 10 oz. whole hops, Amarillo and Cascade.  1 oz. full boil; 2 oz. last 10 minutes; 2 oz. last 5 minutes; 2 oz. whirlpool (hop stand) and 3 oz. dry hop.
Desperado

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 10:55:17 PM »
My NEIPAs get on average:
.25 oz at 60m
2 oz at 5m
4 oz hopstand (185-190F) for 15-20m
Dry hop with 4 oz during primary fermentation
2nd Dry hop with 5 oz in a keg.
Then I do a keg to keg transfer into the serving keg.

15.25 oz for a 5 gallon batch.
This is a beer that goes about 1.064 OG.
Don't knock it till you try it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 11:56:47 PM »
Depends on the hop varieties (alpha acid), but on average about 8oz per 5 gal. batch give or take.

Great to see ya post, Ron. Hopefully the brewery is doing great!
Jon H.

Offline RugbyHukr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 02:28:35 AM »
I run at about 17 oz per 5 gallon batch.  I like to recirculate through a hop rocket back into the kettle while running the immersion chiller.  Saves me from stirring.  Then dry hop.  Wife says fresh cracked bottle poured into pint glass smells "pungent".  Best aroma and flavor that way.

Offline Rob

• 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2017, 02:36:53 AM »
Try a counter-flow chiller.  I have an SS Brewtech kettle with their trub dam and have no issues with blockage in the chiller.  Some hops gets picked up thru the dip tube, but it's pretty minimal.  With the CFC I can easily drop to pitch temp in under 10 minutes with a slow gravity feed.

Thanks everyone for your responses.  Keep 'em coming.  I typically do 1.25 - 1.5 for bittering, my target being about 70 IBU.  Then 5 oz. at 170* and 5 oz. dry hopping post fermentation.  This is for a 6.8% ABV beer - Golden promise at 79%, Munich 10 at 14% and sugar at 7%.   So a simple grain bill.

I have wondered if I am using too much.  I have either bagged or used a cylindrical SS mesh hop filter for the hop stand.  I'm not really happy with either as it seems there isn't sufficient wort access to the interior of the hop cake to extract the oils.

I've tried using the Blichmann Hop Blocker - it didn't block any hops that I could discern (yes I used it correctly).  It completely plugged my plate chiller.  I currently use a large stainless mesh circle encasing my dip tube in the boil kettle but it doesn't keep all the hop particles out of my plate chiller either.  I'm about to toss the plate chiller and go back to an immersion chiller just so I can let the hops swim free.  I was enamoured with the plate chiller so that the wort would not be exposed to air below 170*, but hey, Denny uses an immersion chiller and I have not heard him complain about infections so...  And at this point the possibility of an infection from a dirty plate chiller is probably more than from airborne sources.

Regardless I appreciate the input.