Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Metallic  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Metallic
« on: March 06, 2017, 06:45:39 pm »
Does metallic only come from rust or can it be from yeast? I have a keg that has a bit of a penny taste. Not the faucet as I swapped kegs. Yeast was 4th gen Rustic/3726.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Metallic
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:18:22 pm »
Is it a dark beer? You may need to passivate that keg.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 07:22:08 pm »
Nope. 3-4 SRM. It's a new keg, so a bit of a bummer to need maintenance right off. I'll break it and the faucet down once it kicks. If there is no visible rust, I'll see if I can get the shop to send me a replacement beer tube.

What's your homebrewer SOP? Double strength Star San?

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 04:50:47 am »
Nope. 3-4 SRM. It's a new keg, so a bit of a bummer to need maintenance right off. I'll break it and the faucet down once it kicks. If there is no visible rust, I'll see if I can get the shop to send me a replacement beer tube.

Is it a Belgian per chance? I have seen metallic flavors thrown early after/right before kegging. Cleared up after a bit, weird stuff.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 05:57:12 am »

I've never passivated with Star san before but it is an acid so the right concentration may work. New stainless often needs passivated from the manufacturer. We use double strength acid wash for ab out 2 hour cycle, then don't rinse but let air dry over night then rinse the next day and sanitize.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 06:25:53 am »
I'd have to check when I get home, but I believe SS Brewtech specifies 1 ounce of start san to 1 gallon of water for passivation. As majorvices said, rince with solution, let air dry, then rinse with water.

Bar Keeper's Friend is easier to use though. SS Brewtech recommends the star san method as BKF will remove their etched volume marks over time.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

Metallic
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 07:27:48 am »
Thanks. BKF won't work for a corny keg (can't reach the bottom). I'll check SS brewtech's site to see what they say.

ETA - you're right on the one ounce per gallon with 20 min contact time. I'm lazy so I'll fill the keg. Should have bought the big bottle of Star San
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:36:33 am by Stevie »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 08:23:36 am »

Is it a Belgian per chance? I have seen metallic flavors thrown early after/right before kegging. Cleared up after a bit, weird stuff.
It's a lighter beer made with Imperial Rustic which is said to be Wyeast Farmhouse. Been in the keg for two months, so I don't think it's going away.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 08:36:44 am »
Does metallic only come from rust or can it be from yeast? I have a keg that has a bit of a penny taste. Not the faucet as I swapped kegs. Yeast was 4th gen Rustic/3726.

Frequently a sign of oxidation
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 08:39:44 am »
I've found that some water profiles can throw off low-level metallic notes as well.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:34 am »
I've found that some water profiles can throw off low-level metallic notes as well.
Water is pretty simple based on Jever boiled. This was a split batch and the other keg with WLP029 doesn't have it.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 08:48:17 am »

Frequently a sign of oxidation
While I won't rule that out, my cold side practices are pretty solid.

One thing I've noticed is it is more pronounced when freshly poured and reasonably carbonated. If I neglect it for an hour it's much less noticeable. The CO2 is for sure enhancing it. Maybe the acidity of the gas in solution. Can't be the gas itself as it is shared with 3 other kegs.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 08:53:52 am »
I think you're on the right track thinking it's a keg issue. I had this happen, traced it to a particular keg, ended up being rust in the dip tube.

I've noticed some people mistake low oxygen associated darker malt flavors as being metallic, especially in Guinness and Newcastle Brown, but I don't see that being the issue here.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 08:59:36 am »
If its a split batch with different yeasts and the other keg is fine, sounds like the yeast.  Although I agree with Denny, I usually associated metallic off-tastes with oxidation. 

Four generations of farmhouse yeast may have picked up something along the way, in terms of mutations, infections, etc. I've done up to 6 generations of lager yeast, and have noticed that the later generations were not as squeaky clean as the first couple. Now I tend to stop at three.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 09:57:31 am »
That's why I was suspecting the yeast at first. It's odd as it feels like it belongs if it were more subtle. All my searches pointed to metals, not a one mentioned oxidation or yeast.