Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Container for Holding Grain  (Read 5552 times)

Offline Bitter Alchemist

• 1st Kit
Re: Container for Holding Grain
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 06:52:56 pm »
Another vote for Vittle Vaults.

Me too--I have 2 and they are terrific.

I use the Vittle Vaults as well... they work great.

Offline michaeltrego

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 10:09:52 pm »
$40 airtight holds 3 sacks. Homedepot Roughneck 45 Gal. Black Wheeled Trash Can with Lid plus Armacell
2 in. x 30 ft. R-1 Foam Insulation Tape (cut to line the interior of the lid seal).

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 11:46:33 am »
Wow three sacks in one container...I brew a fair amount of 10 gallon batches, but I would be concerned storing 3 sacks of grain in one container.  You must brew a lot of beer!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline michaeltrego

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 12:39:19 pm »
Wow three sacks in one container...I brew a fair amount of 10 gallon batches, but I would be concerned storing 3 sacks of grain in one container.  You must brew a lot of beer!

I brew 10 gallon batches as well. That container is typically holding 3-5 partial sacks of different base grains. All of my various small bags of specialty grains are kept in the rolling pet food storage containers.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 01:36:56 pm »
I gotcha - you keep the grains in the sacks and store the sacks in the container - I do that with smaller bags of specialty grains in a gamma seal bucket, but I never thought of storing larger sacks that way in a big container like a garbage can - great idea and reasonable cost alternative!  My large vittle vaults are a bit pricey, but they hold a full sack (which I just open and pour in then screw on the lid for an airtight seal).  I typically have 4 grains on hand in large volume (still only a sack or less): Weyermann's FM Pilsner and German Pale, Maris Otter (by varying maltsters, depending on the LHBS selection when I run out) and Vienna (often just 2 or 3 small sacks of 10 pounds each). 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline LeftyLucy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 05:49:43 pm »
Big plastic box from Wally's or wherever you cheapest box store is.  Keeping it in the bag, though.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 06:41:09 pm »
Yeah, I'm right there with you.  I have a big rubbermaid tub and leave the sacks in it.  The sack deals with the environment and the tub deals with the critters.  Seems to have worked so far. 
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Dougmeyer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 06:12:04 am »
Hey, you can check out for Vittles vaults and Costco. Well, I had bought this a year ago for my dog, but I have to change the box as the holes in it was keeping attract to the pests like critters, and rats to feed on the food I use to keep in that box for my dog. It was happening not only with the dog food, but the pests were around the food we use to eat at home and was chewing on our food items also. So finally we took the decision of calling the exterminator NYC  for destroying the pest and getting rid of them fully.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 09:58:24 am »
Another vote for Vittle Vaults.

Me too, they are great..
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 01:36:25 pm »
These are what I use.  I like the wheels and the price.  I have had to glue the wheels in, as they will fall out if the container comes off the ground.  They'll hold just over a full bag of malt.

https://smile.amazon.com/IRIS-Airtight-Food-Storage-Container-x/dp/B00186O0LU/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1547325271&sr=1-6&keywords=pet+food+storage+container
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:50:27 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 09:13:07 pm »
These are what I use.  I like the wheels and the price.  I have had to glue the wheels in, as they will fall out if the container comes off the ground.  They'll hold just over a full bag of malt.

https://smile.amazon.com/IRIS-Airtight-Food-Storage-Container-x/dp/B00186O0LU/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1547325271&sr=1-6&keywords=pet+food+storage+container

I have two of these as well, they are excellent for the price. I removed the wheels completely as they never stayed in place anyway.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline zoobum

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 11:09:17 pm »
Another vote for 5 gal buckets with gamma lids.

Another vote here for the buckets with gamma lids. cheap and easy!!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 12:26:26 pm »

I use exactly the same thing for my base malts and some specialty malts, which are kept in the plastic bags that I get from my LHBS.  I also have buckets with screw tight sealing lids that will hold about 7 lbs of grain that I store some of my more frequently used specialty malts.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 02:01:15 pm »
Another vote for 5 gal buckets with gamma lids.

Another vote here for the buckets with gamma lids. cheap and easy!!
+1. Hold about 20#.   For specialty malt in small amounts I like 2 qt Mason jars.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:03:38 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.