Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Cholaca (liquid Cacao) for flavor addition  (Read 1802 times)

Offline karenandstevemcc

• 1st Kit
Using Cholaca (liquid Cacao) for flavor addition
« on: March 03, 2017, 11:56:59 am »
Hi, I just discovered a product called Cholaca (http://www.cholaca.com) . It is a pure liquid form of cacao and is being used by a dozen or so breweries to add chocolate flavor to stouts and porters. It's said to impart better flavor and easier to use than cacao nibs. If anyone is using Cholaca, I'd like to know how much I should use in the secondary when brewing. Thanks.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Using Cholaca (liquid Cacao) for flavor addition
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 10:26:15 am »
If you don't get a good answer here I'd suggest emailing the breweries listed on their page and asking what they do. At least one of those should reply with a response. Copper Kettle might be a good starting point, they are pretty open about their great beers.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline cdawson

• Cellarman
Re: Using Cholaca (liquid Cacao) for flavor addition
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 02:19:01 pm »
I'm looking into this for a local home brew competition and just got off of the phone with Ira Leibtag the CEO of Cholaca. He mentioned that on average breweries that use Cholaca are using around 1 gallon per barrel...so around 4 ounces per gallon, but adjust according to taste or beer style.