General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Filtration Systems

(1/2) > >>

hopaddicted:
I'm new to kegging and was surprised to find filtration systems pretty reasonable priced.

How many people utilize filtration in their brewing process? Are you happy with the results?

I have been impressed with the clarity gain of lagering, not that my ales were bad either (always use a secondary).

I don't expect much of a gain, but for the fairly modest cost and potential flexibility of the system (may double it as a hpback as well) it makes sense to add to the arsenal eventually.

Appreciate opinions.

narvin:
Note that a hopback is designed to work with hot wort, and many filtration systems may not be rated for near-boiling wort.  You might be able to make a randall out of it, though.

hopaddicted:
Understood.

euge:
Never done personally but worth looking into IMO:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=89376-59019-WHKF-DWHV&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1201343&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Post primary filtration.

The Professor:

--- Quote from: hopaddicted on July 20, 2010, 06:16:02 AM ---
...How many people utilize filtration in their brewing process? Are you happy with the results?...

--- End quote ---

I filtered a couple of batches some years ago.  It was a hassle. 
If you're worried about starbright, clear beer, cold temperature and patience clears the beer just as well and tastes better (to me anyway).

But you should give it a spin and see if you have a different result than I did. 
Lots of folks filter their brews and love the end results. 
It just wasn't for me though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version