Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is a 90 Min boil needed?  (Read 15290 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Is a 90 Min boil needed?
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2017, 12:45:46 pm »
Let's talk 30 minute boil ... using hop extract, the need to boil for bittering is gone.

I've done 20 min. boils.  You just increase your bittering hops by 50%.

whats your boil off % for those 20 minute boils?

Don't recall without checking, but not much as you'd expect.  Particularly since I was doing it indoors on an induction plate.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2017, 12:55:57 pm »
Let's talk 30 minute boil ... using hop extract, the need to boil for bittering is gone.

Don't recall without checking, but not much as you'd expect.  Particularly since I was doing it indoors on an induction plate.

wild. and no dms?

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2017, 01:03:45 pm »
I averaged 15-20% outdoors on 60m and 30m I get half that.  WRT comparing 30m vs 60m IBU, there is surprisingly little difference.  Honestly, I think we're talking like 10-20% change.  No need to resort to use ISO oil.  WRT DMS; Our boiloff rates are HUGE compared to pros.  They average 4% over 90m.  That's the reason they boil so long, they HAVE to.     
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2017, 03:24:35 pm »

wild. and no dms?

None whatsoever

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2017, 09:40:11 am »

[/quote]

Details please. What size batch? How long did it take to get to get to a boil? How did it compare to boiling outdoors with propane?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2017, 10:05:50 am »

Details please. What size batch? How long did it take to get to get to a boil? How did it compare to boiling outdoors with propane?
[/quote]

2 gal., 1800W plate.  Started with maybe 2.5 gal. (I'd have top check my notes to be sure).  Maybe 20 min. to get to boil...don't recall exactly.  Best I could get was a low rolling boil, but that was enough. 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2017, 03:06:47 pm »
Perhaps because the genesis of brewing back in Mesapotamia was changing. Contaminated water into a safe tasty beverage through boiling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk