Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck Fermentation (Too much alcohol present?)  (Read 1692 times)

Offline NJMevec

• 1st Kit
Stuck Fermentation (Too much alcohol present?)
« on: March 12, 2017, 06:24:05 am »
So I have this..."thing" in my fermenter. Don't really know how to classify it but it's at 1.095 OG and has been resting at 1.024 for three days. I used 2lb 3 oz of Light Dry Extract and 1lb 4oz of corn sugar across a 1 gallon batch. For those interested hop additions are .6 oz of Citra for 45 min, .4 oz Citra for 15 min, and .4 oz of Hallertau for 5 min. It smells and tastes like passion fruit and lychee. Can't believe I only used hops in it! For the yeast I used 1 packet of White Labs East Coast Ale (advertised 100 billion cells packaged on 01/09/2017 put into fermenter on ). BeerSmith is saying I'm at about 73% attenuation but was predicting that I'd get to 90.8% attenuation.

Should I add a Trappist yeast or should I just rack to secondary and bottle once some more stuff settles out? I'm pretty sure that the East Coast Ale won't be able to keep up anymore since it's at 9.5% ABV (White Labs says that it's able to handle max around 10%). There's still a thin krausen along the top, but the gravity has remained constant for three days. It's been in the fermenter for a little over a week and four days.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Stuck Fermentation (Too much alcohol present?)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 07:29:02 am »
Wait a few more days to clear then bottle it.  It's done.  Just enjoy it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:30:24 am »
Leave the beer in the primary.  What temperature is the beer in the fermentor?  Are you using a refractometer or hydrometer for SG?

Offline NJMevec

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 08:40:56 am »
Leave the beer in the primary.  What temperature is the beer in the fermentor?  Are you using a refractometer or hydrometer for SG?

Beer has been floating between 68 and 72°F in my basement. Was using a hydrometer. And leave it even though gravity has been remaining constant?

Offline NJMevec

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 08:46:38 am »
Wait a few more days to clear then bottle it.  It's done.  Just enjoy it.

That's what I'm thinking. It tastes great and looks great apart from some haziness. Just want to avoid bottle bombs (or no carb due to inactive yeast).

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 11:04:28 am »
If you'd like some assurance that it's absolutely done, you could pull a sample and pitch a packet of dry yeast in it.  Keep the sample warm and shake it once in a while.  If the gravity of the sample doesn't change after a few days then you can be absolutely sure that it has finished.  If the gravity does drop, then you'll probably need a large volume of fresh yeast for the rest of the batch (like some slurry from a local brewery or the yeast cake from another batch).

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 11:10:25 am »
I had a batch stall recently, but at 1.040.  I pulled a sample and pitched a pack of bread yeast into the sample.  It definitely took off fermenting.

I had already raised the temp on the fermenter and after about a week of elevated (75+) temps the fermentation had restarted (new krausen) and the beer came down to 1.012.

I would definitely test the fermentability of the wort with some bread yeast.  It may be done, but my high gravity beers typical finish in the teens.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton