Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning corny keg pickup tube  (Read 3980 times)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Cleaning corny keg pickup tube
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 08:22:45 am »
I disassemble and soak everything (PBW, StarSan) usually for every batch, but sometimes I'll skip one.  I never go 3 batches in the same keg without a complete disassembly.

I also disassemble and clean everything after every batch; no exceptions for me.  I also use the tube brush for cleaning diptubes, and I even use it on the welded spud on the keg that the post screws onto (while the diptubes are removed).  I work under the premise that I don't want to accidentally compromise a batch simply because I didn't clean the serving vessel - this is the reason why bottling was such a PITA for me (OCD/perfectionist tendencies :D).  I'm the same with my liquid lines, but there have been a couple times when folks were over, a keg kicked, and I had a backup all ready so I just moved the liquid disconnect to the new keg without cleaning the liquid line/faucet/etc.  Because cleaning kegs entails a certain amount of prep/cleanup time, I wait until I have 4-8 dirty kegs to clean and do them all at once.  I figure it will take me ~45 minutes to clean one keg (beginning to end), and each additional is only like 10 extra minutes per keg so I can get 5 done in about 1.5 hours (which is not too bad for my OCD/perfectionist brain :P).

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 08:43:33 am »
Wow.  The only time it's taken me 45 minutes to clean one keg was when I took some BKF to the outside to polish them up and get off old stickers.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 08:55:01 am »
Yeah, I'm not the quickest - I pay too much attention to detail (mundane, unimportant details).  Oh well, at least I'm confident in the cleanliness of the inside of my kegs :D