Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many here would buy a Grainfather???  (Read 21429 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: How many here would buy a Grainfather???
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2017, 07:53:29 pm »
I think the Grainfather looks nice. I agree I would prefer more power but that would require either brewing in the laundry room (dryer circuit) or having an electrician run a new 20 Ampere circuit.

The second reason I don't think Grainfather is for me is batch size. I really like 3 gallon batches. I brew more often and get more variety.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2017, 09:10:22 pm »
They'd have to boost the power of the unit for me to pull the trigger.  I have relatives in New Zealand, and I thought about having them ship me one of the higher-powered overseas units.  I'm just not sure how I would deal with the wiring here on my end.  I'm on the fence on this one.
Won't work easily. Their 240 is single phase while ours is split phase.

Offline pproctor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2017, 08:39:32 am »
The bottom line up front for me:  I wish it existed when I started brewing and I could have skipped all the various parts that add up to a higher price, plus made the process much simpler.

I just finished my 3rd brew with mine and I really like it.  The cons are:  no 10 gallon batch version, 120V in the US, slow wort chiller.  The time to mash is fairly quick but it does take a while to get from mash to boil.  Pros:  consistency, simplicity, small form factor, temperature control.  I will probably buy another to get back to 10 gallon batches, and the cost of two is less than the others I looked at:  all the way up through the Blichmann and Spiedel models.

It does not speed up the process, but does allow me to multi-task in between steps and I can leave it until the next step.

Ideally I'd like a 240V larger model that does 10 gallon batches, but as I said the price is right to buy two. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2017, 08:51:30 am »
I think the Grainfather looks nice. I agree I would prefer more power but that would require either brewing in the laundry room (dryer circuit) or having an electrician run a new 20 Ampere circuit.

The second reason I don't think Grainfather is for me is batch size. I really like 3 gallon batches. I brew more often and get more variety.

No reason you can't do a 3 gal. batch on the GF.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2017, 01:49:13 pm »

Right...just need to make some adjustments for a smaller grail bill, but all of that is in the instruction manual.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2017, 03:16:36 pm »

Right...just need to make some adjustments for a smaller grail bill, but all of that is in the instruction manual.
For 3 gallon batches I tend to use about 5-6 lbs of grain. The Grainfather FAQ on their website says they don't recommend going below 5.5 lbs of grain. However, I just noticed they sell "micro pipework" for 2.6 gallon batches for $35.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2017, 04:33:32 pm »

For 3 gallon batches I tend to use about 5-6 lbs of grain. The Grainfather FAQ on their website says they don't recommend going below 5.5 lbs of grain. However, I just noticed they sell "micro pipework" for 2.6 gallon batches for $35.

Yep. I use the micro pipework and do 3 gallon batches. Works great.
Ralph R.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2017, 10:46:49 am »
Too "hands off" for me. I enjoy brewing more than drinking and I like to have my hands in every aspect. This seems to me to be more of a coffee pot. Put your grounds in, add water and turn it on. Plus, more than brewing, I enjoy building 90% of my equipment.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2017, 12:48:17 pm »
I see the allure-small footprint and electric. I'd probably use a system like this if I lived in a small apartment or something.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2017, 01:29:28 pm »
After going 3 months this winter without brewing, I can see the appeal of an indoor system.  Only my being a cheap fink keeps me from buying such a system.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2017, 01:36:14 pm »
Too "hands off" for me. I enjoy brewing more than drinking and I like to have my hands in every aspect. This seems to me to be more of a coffee pot. Put your grounds in, add water and turn it on. Plus, more than brewing, I enjoy building 90% of my equipment.

Actually it's nearly as hands on as a "normal" brewing setup.  The Zymatic or Pico are [probably what you're thinking of.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2017, 07:37:24 pm »

Actually it's nearly as hands on as a "normal" brewing setup.  The Zymatic or Pico are [probably what you're thinking of.

Very well possible. I tend to assume most of my knowledge than back up with actual facts.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2017, 07:43:51 pm »

Very well possible. I tend to assume most of my knowledge than back up with actual facts.
You're doing one better than most of the internet.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2017, 10:49:28 pm »

I get this.  Although my base approach and technique have always followed Denny's cheap n' easy set-up and process, my unique modifications and tools and improvisations, and built-by-me equipment come together to satisfy my creative side to hit numbers, make better and better beers, and feel like I'm not following the same manual as the thousands of people who buy a designed and mass-produced system with parts that may or may not limit what I can brew in at least a full 5-gal batch.  That said, many designed systems make me drool, and the efficiencies and control they offer definitely provide a greater range of control than I have with my system.

I definitely would consider a Grainfather if I didn't have ample room to store multiple propane burners, keggles, picnic cooler mash/lautertuns, yadda-yadda-yadda.  Gee, I'm a lucky, if somewhat frugal and engineering-deficit guy!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:51:45 pm by brewsumore »

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2017, 03:15:16 am »

Yep. I use the micro pipework and do 3 gallon batches. Works great.

Alternatively you could just no/minimal sparge and have a less dense mash.  I've done this a couple of times when I've made low ABV beers(3-3.5%) in my GF.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017