Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using old bottles  (Read 4246 times)

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Using old bottles
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 07:30:50 pm »
I'm not buying it either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Jkrehbielp

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 10:33:54 am »
The most common bottle failures I had when bottling were when the neck snapped off while capping. Too many uses stresses the glass, and tiny cracks build up.

Use them, but be careful.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 03:06:00 pm »
I'd bet that most bottle failures happen from capping with wing cappers.  A bench capper is a good investment.  Probably faster too.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 03:22:27 pm »
When I was first bottling with a wing capper, I broke two or three.  It just doesn't take that much muscle to get a good seal.  Otherwise, I've got bottles that have been capped 30 plus times with no issues.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 05:39:47 pm »
The most common bottle failures I had when bottling were when the neck snapped off while capping. Too many uses stresses the glass, and tiny cracks build up.

Use them, but be careful.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Cumulative damage happens.

Most breweries use one way bottles that are thin and light, saves on shipping costs. Those might be 180-190 grams IIRC. I weighed some Belgian bottles I brought back from Belgium. Those are more robust due to multiple uses and high carbonation. Those were in the 320-330 gram range for 330 ml. You can tell the difference!

When touring Ayinger, they would remove labels and clean the bottles in a large piece of equipment. Then the bottles went down a line where tests were done on the bottles, defective one were automatically kicked off the line into a bin.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 04:47:46 pm »
I have had no problems so far.  Being doing for six months and using the bottle over and over.
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal

Offline Badgerhead

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 12:26:42 pm »
I've snapped a few longnecks during bottling, but it ended up being because my cheapo wing capper was going bad.  When I took a look at it I saw the metal plates were all mangled.  I bought a new wing capper and haven't had any problems since.

That said, I am partial to Green Flash and Alpine bottles because the neck geometry seems sturdier.  That, and I buy a lot of their beer.  I've used their bottles for several generations with no issues - I couldn't even break them with my old capper. 

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 09:04:55 pm »
I'd bet that most bottle failures happen from capping with wing cappers.  A bench capper is a good investment.  Probably faster too.
Agreed.  I broke more than my share with a wing capper.  Got a bench capper within the 1st year, and I can't even remember breaking any since making that move (which is going back to around 2004).

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline lizaambler

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 07:51:16 am »
I have been using bottles that are probably at least 10 years old and never had a problem. Now glass carboys are a different story....