Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: It's good to be in Asheville  (Read 6415 times)

narvin

It's good to be in Asheville
« on: March 12, 2017, 03:11:11 pm »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: It's good to be in Asheville
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 03:17:40 pm »
Nice. Been wanting to beercation there for a while. Need to make it happen.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
It's good to be in Asheville
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 05:34:33 pm »
Love going there - were you able to hit mills river Sierra?  Green man? Just love Asheville!

Edit - oops your first pic didn't load at first - saw after I posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 06:42:37 am »
Did you hit the Wicked Weed? IMO best in Asheville!
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:29:09 am »
Hit up Noble Cider!  They're doing some amazing things with apple juice. 

narvin

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 10:02:15 am »
We went to both Wicked Weed's, Burial, Hi-Wire, Wedge, Green Man, Thirsty Monk, and the enormous Sierra Nevada brewery and tap room.  The Wicked Weed Funkatorium had some amazing sours.  There is more to try for next time, but we did a pretty good job for a weekend.

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 12:03:12 pm »
We went to both Wicked Weed's, Burial, Hi-Wire, Wedge, Green Man, Thirsty Monk, and the enormous Sierra Nevada brewery and tap room.  The Wicked Weed Funkatorium had some amazing sours.  There is more to try for next time, but we did a pretty good job for a weekend.

The bottle shop just in front of Hi-Wire is also pretty dang good.  I spent almost as much time there as I did in the brewery.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 12:04:18 pm »
My wife and I went for our honeymoon. I didn't know Asheville was such a beer town... Needless to say we had a great time checking out all the breweries!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 04:25:07 pm »
Just will say the Sierra Nevada Chico brewery is much bigger. The one in Asheville is the most beautiful of all I have seen, and I have seen a lot. The second most beautiful is Chico.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 08:18:05 am »
Just will say the Sierra Nevada Chico brewery is much bigger. The one in Asheville is the most beautiful of all I have seen, and I have seen a lot. The second most beautiful is Chico.  ;)

I was about to say the same thing. Mills River is literally the most beautiful brewery I have ever seen. Simply stunning.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 08:33:55 am »

indeed I can't wait to go back.  I'm shocked that Chico is bigger

I was about to say the same thing. Mills River is literally the most beautiful brewery I have ever seen. Simply stunning.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 09:05:53 am »

indeed I can't wait to go back.  I'm shocked that Chico is bigger

The Mills River brewery can make ~350k bbl/year. Chico is in the 900k bbl/year range capacity, and they were around 1 Million/year when Mills River was under construction, the guide said it was a strain on the brewery.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 07:16:41 pm »
Late to the party. If anyone needs Asheville recommendations I'm your huckleberry.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 12:36:11 pm »
My wife and I went for our honeymoon. I didn't know Asheville was such a beer town... Needless to say we had a great time checking out all the breweries!

It wasn't about three years ago... a lot of that explosion is very recent (of course, right after I move away). 

I started noticing a lot of new stuff popping up, naturally, right after I moved from NC to Portland, OR.  I'm in beervana so I ain't complaining, but some it is like "Damn... really?"

Needless to say, next trip to NC is gonna involve a day or two in Asheville.  After visiting the New Belgium in Colorado a month ago, I'm really excited to visit the new on in NC. And SN, and Oskar Blues, and Wicked Weed and.............
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 01:20:35 pm »
Late to the party. If anyone needs Asheville recommendations I'm your huckleberry.
Mike is your guy for food and drink in Asheville. I can vouch for his recommendations.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild